• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Ian Ianland Thread

I have a good friend 4 miles east of that airport, she said it was loud. That area is so dense, any tornado that touches down will do a ton of damage.

Oh Yeah. That's Hollywood City. The winds had to be anywhere from 60-80MPH for a minute. I can't imagine what an EF2 would do to that area. There are like trailers parks in random areas around Hollywood too.

I don't care if I see nothing for the rest of the Hurricane Season.

I take it back.

Iv already accepted my defeat as I watch this go further and further east. I went from looking at 4+ inches of rain to now being lucky if we get 2.
Your girl said the same thing! ?
My first guess is 5”+ for GSP proper. Winds won’t be an issue. Models over hype them time and time again

Your girl said the same thing! ?
My first guess is 5”+ for GSP proper. Winds won’t be an issue. Models over hype them time and time again

There are some howlers up at 850mb though.. Some of that heavier precip might just surprise some wind wise. + the tightening pressure gradient...

I posted in the main Ian thread, but I'm stuck in Orlando (Disney Springs area) and on the 6th floor of a hotel. My flight is canceled, so I'm not leaving. I have rounded up enough water for a couple days and enough-ish food. My girlfriend and her daughter are at the Dolphin but they are supposed to check out Thurs morning due to no vacancy. She's debating leaving Wed morning to get back to ATL driving. I told her it is likely too late, especially since she's safe at a Disney hotel. She has a reservation at an off property hotel near me checking in Thurs. I'm just worried about us getting home (me flying whenever that is and her driving). Any "professional" thoughts?

I posted in the main Ian thread, but I'm stuck in Orlando (Disney Springs area) and on the 6th floor of a hotel. My flight is canceled, so I'm not leaving. I have rounded up enough water for a couple days and enough-ish food. My girlfriend and her daughter are at the Dolphin but they are supposed to check out Thurs morning due to no vacancy. She's debating leaving Wed morning to get back to ATL driving. I told her it is likely too late, especially since she's safe at a Disney hotel. She has a reservation at an off property hotel near me checking in Thurs. I'm just worried about us getting home (me flying whenever that is and her driving). Any "professional" thoughts?
It seems like your both set up in safe places and it's a bit too late to get on the road, I'd just ride it out. I've been to Disney during a tropical events and actually had one of my best days ever in the parks because people weren't back yet when they opened back up. I wouldn't plan on much in the way of flights until Friday most likely. You guys are in way better shape than many and all the hotels are probably full with people who evacuated from the coast. Orlando tends to hold up well.

The amount of emergency warnings of tornado warnings in the middle of the night was unnerving. We are nowhere close to the eye. The winds have been constant. Watching the local news last night and the anchors who have lived here forever have never seen anything like this being so far from the storm. The meteorologist were even amazed at the amount of wind the storms were making. Praying for the West Coast of Florida. This system is no joke! Currently in Palm Beach Shores on the East Coast.

The ukmet not too far off from that either, don't think it can be completely dismissed....
Agreed and the UK is really as adamant as the ICON with how sharp it hooks the storm back to the NW. Obviously it’s gonna be over land for around 24 hours or so, but if it holds it overall structure well, it really could strengthen back up some before coming back ashore. The environment of the GA/SC isn’t bad

WRAL in Raleigh now has Ian running west of where Hugo did back in 89. We didn't get much if any rain from Hugo here. Why aren't the projected totals going down?

WRAL in Raleigh now has Ian running west of where Hugo did back in 89. We didn't get much if any rain from Hugo here. Why aren't the projected totals going down?
Different setup altogether. Hugo just a rapid moving consolidated TC, this will be a system rapidly transitioning to ET, that HP will be pumping onshore flow, jet dynamics different, coastal front traveling inland, all equal higher amounts much further away from TC center.

Because it’s not just the hurricane that is gonna produce the rainfall. Strong moist flow off the Atlantic, stalled out coastal, front, and strong jet dynamics coming in from the west. Also I think you’re in an area that could see a good chance at tornadoes

Back