• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Zeta

NOW IF THOSE HOT TOWERS CAN FINALLY WRAP UP I THINK THIS THING MAY FOR A SHOT FOR A HIGH END 1 OR LOW END CAT 2Capture.JPG

Praying for a miracle for Atlanta. 60 to 75 mph gust! Wow!!!
YEA IM NOT LOOKING FORWARD IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS IN BAMA AS WELL.. SUSTAINED AT 35-40 AND GUST UP TO 50+.. IM IN THE WOODS AND THAT MEANS ME CUTTING TREES UP FOR HOURS ON END

Forecasting 100 mph before landfall

...AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT REPORTS THAT ZETA IS
STRENGTHENING...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND STRONG WINDS EXPECTED ALONG
PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST BEGINNING AROUND MIDDAY...

SUMMARY OF 400 AM CDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.1N 91.8W
ABOUT 320 MI...520 KM SSW OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
ABOUT 355 MI...570 KM SSW OF NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...982 MB...29.00 INCHES

Though it may be a little too low, FFC NWS map of highest gusts for ATL metro of 35-40 looks more likely to verify to me than the map posted here on the previous page that Ella Dorsey put out, that has gusts way up into the 50s and 60s, which would be similar to Opal. I experienced Opal and it was very bad. I’m not trying to minimize the 35-40 as that would be plenty enough for dangerous falling trees/limbs as well as lots of power outages. But I just think the Opal like 50s to 60s seems a bit much and may be based on models that tend to overdo these. Similar to Opal, Zeta will be moving very rapidly and likely even faster. That’s bad news as that will prevent that much weakening of the storm by the time it gets to the area. And there is the concern about extratropical energy being added. But remember that Opal was a cat 3 H when it made landfall and was still a cat 1 H when it was well up into AL. Zeta is expected to be only a cat 1 H at landfall and will weaken somewhat when going inland.
Make no mistake, this will be a big wx event though.

My forecast is for highest KATL wind gusts to be near 45, which is higher than the NWS’ 35-40 but lower than Ella Dorsey’s 54. There will be many trees and large limbs down along with lots of outages.

Any other predictions for KATL?

Edit: Now if Zeta landfalls as a cat 2 instead of cat1, then it may be close to an Opal for ATL.

And now it looks with the overnight strengthening along with a cat 2 peak instead of cat 1 like Zeta has a good chance to landfall as a cat 2. Therefore, as per what i stated in the "edit" line yesterday, Zeta may very well be another Opal for ATL and vicinity. :eek:

And now it looks with the overnight strengthening along with a cat 2 peak instead of cat 1 like Zeta has a good chance to landfall as a cat 2. Therefore, as per what i stated in the "edit" line yesterday, Zeta may very well be another Opal for ATL and vicinity. :eek:
And FFC has expanded the Tropical Storm Watch for a row of 2-3 counties to the east/southeast of the current watch. To include Athens, Monroe, McDonough area roughly

CLOUD TOPS REALLY STARTING TO COOL DOWN AND FINALLY FORM A CIRCLE AROUND THE CENTER OF CIRCULATION. NOW THAT EYE NEEDS TO CLEAR OUT AND ITS BOOM TIME THEN
ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif
AND THE WIND FIELD IS EXPANDING PER LATEST RECON OBS.
Capture.JPG

Back