• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Sally

I dont even think i would bat a eye at this happening with how things this year and with this storm have gone this year.

nam3km_ref_frzn_seus_37.png

Up to 100

Hurricane warnings extended east into Florida

...SALLY A LITTLE STRONGER, ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING EXPECTED
TONIGHT...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE, HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS, AND FLASH
FLOODING LIKELY ALONG PORTIONS OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST STARTING
TONIGHT AND TUESDAY...

SUMMARY OF 400 PM CDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.8N 87.4W
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
ABOUT 145 MI...230 KM SE OF BILOXI MISSISSIPPI
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...987 MB...29.15 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Storm Surge Warning has been extended eastward along the coast
of the Florida panhandle to the Okaloosa/Walton County Line.

The Hurricane Warning has been extended eastward along the coast
of the Florida Panhandle to Navarre.

What is driving it East?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beats me. I think when hurricanes strengthen they tend to move more easterly. Although i may be wrong. I thought id read somebody say that. I think this hurricane has a outward shot of being category 4 at landfall

Beats me. I think when hurricanes strengthen they tend to move more easterly. Although i may be wrong. I thought id read somebody say that. I think this hurricane has a outward shot of being category 4 at landfall
There is a cold front approaching from the west that will push it off to the east.

From the latest discussion from the NHC.

Now that Sally has developed an inner core, the
favorable atmospheric and ocean conditions of low vertical wind
shear and warm water should allow for additional strengthening
tonight while the system moves over the north-central Gulf of
Mexico, and Sally could approach major hurricane strength.

It’s not going to make it to a 3 now, IMO. It’s just got that comma look and they just never get back the buzzsaw look after they look like this. Just an obs

Yeah. Something is off. It almost appears as if the Mid-level center is spinning around to the north of the LLC, and it looks like there's some shear coming in out of the southeast. When I take a look at the vorticity map, the vorticity from 925 to 700 Mbs looks stretched from the SW to NE, and the 500Mb vorticity is completely bundled up further to the north.

Looks like convection is firing south of where the eye of the hurricane should be. Wondering if its going to begin wrapping up.

Dauphin Island has already had significant flooding today; water under houses and cars stranded. I'm afraid at least the western half of that place is in serious trouble.

Looks like convection is firing south of where the eye of the hurricane should be. Wondering if its going to begin wrapping up.

Probably. Should start to see the hot towers wrap the COC. The westerly mid-level shear may keep things in check a little, but it may end up being nullified due to the move more North and then NE.

18z HMON...959 AND 955 just prior to landfall.

18z NAM.....940

18z GFS....978

18z Icon....977

ScreenshotCapture_2020_09_14_19_16_46_578.jpg

ScreenshotCapture_2020_09_14_19_19_00_843.jpg

ScreenshotCapture_2020_09_14_19_20_22_550.jpg

ScreenshotCapture_2020_09_14_19_30_13_274.jpg

Last edited:
Back