• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Nate

It's amazing how the GFS and Euro and their ensembles are worlds apart . We are talking landfall Saturday .......

As I assume you've noticed, the key is that the gfs is developing a surface low from the system now near the FL Straits and the Euro isn't. This leads to a weaker system hitting LA instead of a stronger storm further east. Who is right? Some people think a low is forming. Others don't. But if it does form, it may ultimately save the NE GOM coast from a big hit kind of like when Jose saved the SE US from Maria,

As I assume you've noticed, the key is that the gfs is developing a surface low from the system now near the FL Straits and the Euro isn't. This leads to a weaker system hitting LA instead of a stronger storm further east. Who is right? Some people think a low is forming. Others don't. But if it does form, it may ultimately save the NE GOM coast from a big hit kind of like when Jose saved the SE US from Maria,
water vapor strongly suggests such a surface low, fwiw ... thanks, Larry!

I guess that 12z HMON run was a fluke, it's coming in much stronger and further east on 18z vs. 12z.

Here's that weenie run of the HMON we know to love to hate. lol Cat. 4 hurricane traversing the GOM.
hmon_mslp_wind_16L_31.png

Crazy the spread on the models considering it's really not too far off

they're struggling with the interaction with the disturbance near Florida that is 0/0 in the TWO, it seems the better chance for it to stay west is for the disturbance to unexpectedly become something

IMO it is due to the fact that Nate has not really started a motion/vector for the models to get a grasp on. Hence they are all going their various "paths".. A thought with this is to see how each model derives their solutions and compare.
Precisely ... and having posted that so many times this year, it's great to see someone else on board! ... :cool:

Back