• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Lee

I get it but all i can do is go with what I see. IF I was in NC i would want it to come close too .
What you see currently would be a better response in my humble opinion! I’ve said it before, it’s a weather board and it’s probably the only thing worth discussing at the moment but it’s still 12-13 days out. Live by the individual op runs and you might be correct but a lot can change! I also don’t get why you would want to see destruction as modeled currently?

This GFS run should be well OTS. 939 at 126!
Out to 210 the pressure has risen to 958 and it looks like it’s starting to bend back west some. Should still end up turning N and NE though in the next couple frames

Out to 210 the pressure has risen to 958 and it looks like it’s starting to bend back west some. Should still end up turning N and NE though in the next couple frames
Yeah I was premature on that going off of past runs and the current frame! Learning everyday!

Ends up scraping the New England coast before a landfall in New Brunswick. Still that was a fairly big shift to the west.

Ends up scraping the New England coast before a landfall in New Brunswick. Still that was a fairly big shift to the west.
Is it a full recurve or a sce ario where it gets dropped off long enough to turn back west and threaten New England as depicted in the gfs is still a big question.

The barrage of troughs on the EC will make any forecast at this lead problematic but they are likely to at least bias the track N-NE. That said the fact that we don't get a big full latitude trough at least leaves the stair step getting left behind then hitting the US scenario as a possibility that's lower on the probability scale. I think the better chance of a US landfall might actually be the NE

Ukmet at 12z.
500hv.conus.png

12 z UKmet is lot futher sw and slower than gfs and can, about to miss trough looks like. I cant go out any futher on pivotal

Is it a full recurve or a sce ario where it gets dropped off long enough to turn back west and threaten New England as depicted in the gfs is still a big question.
The 12z icon is the first model run so far that gets my attention with this. It really slows down between 144 and 180. If it stalls near the Bahamas it changes the game pretty drastically since we open the window for some Atlantic ridge flex between troughs and you get into a Dorian like situation where it can renew its NW movement toward the SE coast but even then this may be too far E that even a renewed WNW to NW track wouldn't be enough to beat the trough to the SE US coast

The 12z icon is the first model run so far that gets my attention with this. It really slows down between 144 and 180. If it stalls near the Bahamas it changes the game pretty drastically since we open the window for some Atlantic ridge flex between troughs and you get into a Dorian like situation where it can renew its NW movement toward the SE coast but even then this may be too far E that even a renewed WNW to NW track wouldn't be enough to beat the trough to the SE US coast
I believe Irene also had a slow down near the Bahamas then a steady NNW movement but that's been a while and my memory may be off

I believe Irene also had a slow down near the Bahamas then a steady NNW movement but that's been a while and my memory may be off
As much as the gfs and others have improved over the last few years when the escape hatch on a hurricane comes down to the 500mb pattern across the US and north Atlantic I'm going to lean towards the euro/eps until they are proven wrong. You can see the 12z gefs already recurving well east and the only run to run trend is really south not west

As much as the gfs and others have improved over the last few years when the escape hatch on a hurricane comes down to the 500mb pattern across the US and north Atlantic I'm going to lean towards the euro/eps until they are proven wrong. You can see the 12z gefs already recurving well east and the only run to run trend is really south not west
I Always keep a watchful eye on the ukmet and have learned to never discount that one either. It's performance with both Irma and Florence was pretty good even though it was seen as an outlier to both originally.

Also the predicted strength of Lee screams recurve as it will want to go poleward versus a weaker system

Back