• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Idalia

Almost the classic track for lots rain of and maybe a few tornados for much of FL, GA, and the Carolinas if this holds up. Plenty of time though for this to take a different track or maybe not form at all. Maybe this could be what finally shakes up the overall pattern in the US if it gets strong enough. This could be a big problem though if it gets organized enough and does not run into a lot of shear. The gulf water is very warm and could really give this a boost.

Almost the classic track for lots rain of and maybe a few tornados for much of FL, GA, and the Carolinas if this holds up. Plenty of time though for this to take a different track or maybe not form at all. Maybe this could be what finally shakes up the overall pattern in the US if it gets strong enough. This could be a big problem though if it gets organized enough and does not run into a lot of shear. The gulf water is very warm and could really give this a boost.
I'm torn on what kind of strengthening I want this thing to do.

Stronger storms need less influence, while weaker ones need stronger pull. There looks like a trough, with modeling of various strengths dipping down and grabbing this thing.

I would like a big rain event in my back yard, so I'm selfishly hoping things slow on one side just enough to get a western track to bring it through GA/SC inland.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_20.png
GFS playing catch up.

CMC has a weird track and it has making landfall in the eastern Florida Panhandle. ICON has it making landfall in the Florida Bend as well. icon_mslp_pcpn_us_fh105-132.gifgem_mslp_pcpn_us_fh102-132.gif

Don’t be surprised to see this tick west a bit. As we get to remember the hard way every winter; troughs are nearly always modeled too fast.
Idk, Ian kept on adjusting east last year. At one point in the medium range it was a big bend landfall. I'm unsure our well known winter axioms translate into the summer that cleanly

Much like this system, I am also a fan of hanging around Cancun for a couple of days not having my act together at all! Don't really see much here unless it can hit the Yucatan Channel with a head of steam and a pressure around 1001-1003ish

Depends on the strength, stronger goes more N and W and weaker stays E and S. Looks like a weaker system is most likely per models.
The vorticity consolidation is going to be key as well. The cmc bombs convection North of the Yucatan which helps get it north faster which is west while the euro pulls it south towards convection so it's slower but stronger

Franklin has has constant very deep convection for weeks and is still a TS. Bath water means nothing if it can't stack up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's fine, but you take your chances against something making it in the gulf and not strengthening if you want to. I know better.

The mcv from last night's storms along with a baggy trough in the northern gulf and other pieces of energy may try to consolidate into a weak ull to the north of this over the weekend. That'll put a decent wrench into into intensity and track as well

That's fine, but you take your chances against something making it in the gulf and not strengthening if you want to. I know better.
honestly i think i will take my chances; shear profile isn't fantastic for development and there's not really an anticyclone that could help with ventilation. also... it only has a day over the gulf?

gfs_uv200_watl_17.png

personally think the ceiling is like 994/995 storm

honestly i think i will take my chances; shear profile isn't fantastic for development and there's not really an anticyclone that could help with ventilation. also... it only has a day over the gulf?

gfs_uv200_watl_17.png

personally think the ceiling is like 994/995 storm
I definitely don't think anything crazy but most of the models have this basically as a tropical storm and I'm saying a higher end Cat 1 is a possibility. These storms the last 5 years have shown that once it's in the Gulf they want to be stronger than what models showed.

I see this storm possibly becoming a weak Category 1 storm before landfall although I saw a chart on the Weather Channel from the EURO that gives it less than a ten percent chance of reaching that status this morning. The EURO does tend to underestimate storm intensity in the Gulf of Mexico. I hope it can become a rainmaker for the areas that need it like most of North Carolina.

There's a lot of moving parts with this potential system, and I do think we get a name at the minimum.

The ensemble means don't have much in the line of strength from it. The idea of the 06z GEFS and EPS to an extent is to have it kind of "absorbed" into the trough. At least from my maps.

I don't have access to individual member maps.

Back