• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Idalia

I was following the storm coverage on AccuWeather's TV channel just before the eye made landfall and one of the meteorologists mentioned that Idalia had just started an eyewall replacement cycle at that time. This could help explain the difference in wind speeds between what the latest advisory mentioned at the time and the lower wind speeds that onshore recording stations were measuring.

Yeah and that's also why the NHC lowered the winds before landfall which they almost never do

I understand the debate on the wind but this hits close to home for me. Personally, I’m sure that the people of Valdosta, GA would beg to differ on the strength. I personally experienced many of tropical storms during my time at VSU. To see a town that I have so many great memories of destroyed is just heartbreaking. Several friends I have are now on hour 30 with no electricity. The sad part is they are afraid to leave their home for fear of somebody looting their property. Football which is king down there, VSU home opener against Albany State is now scheduled for a 3:00 pm kick off time instead of 7:00 pm due to electricity being an issue. They are only allowing season ticket holders in and very limited concessions due to the campus taking a hit. This is normal a big revenue maker for the city. The demographics have changed since my husband and I went there and I truly wonder if the city will be able to recover. Mods please feel free to remove if you see fit. But I feel like it’s splitting hairs because it didn’t pan out they way it was forecasted for your area. Sorry, had to vent.

O
I understand the debate on the wind but this hits close to home for me. Personally, I’m sure that the people of Valdosta, GA would beg to differ on the strength. I personally experienced many of tropical storms during my time at VSU. To see a town that I have so many great memories of destroyed is just heartbreaking. Several friends I have are now on hour 30 with no electricity. The sad part is they are afraid to leave their home for fear of somebody looting their property. Football which is king down there, VSU home opener against Albany State is now scheduled for a 3:00 pm kick off time instead of 7:00 pm due to electricity being an issue. They are only allowing season ticket holders in and very limited concessions due to the campus taking a hit. This is normal a big revenue maker for the city. The demographics have changed since my husband and I went there and I truly wonder if the city will be able to recover. Mods please feel free to remove if you see fit. But I feel like it’s splitting hairs because it didn’t pan out they way it was forecasted for your area. Sorry, had to vent.
Yeah I’ve got a cousin that lives near Valdosta and they are being told that it’s most likely going to be an about two weeks before power is restored. Fortunately, she and her husband can head to her daughter’s house in Panama City

From what I am seeing Valdosta is bad. Earlier today they still said 75 to 80 percent of Lowndes County is without power. People are getting salty. With good reason. My mama's power was restored a little while ago but she is lucky. She hasn't returned home to update me though. Was definitely the right move to make her leave. My question is, the highest recorded wind gust was 67 or so. I'm trying to figure out why would that do so much damage. We have regular storms with 60mph gusts and it's not that much damage.
Is it because it's constant? Is it because it's a huge wind area not just an area smaller and quick like a regular storm or tornado?
All of my years living there, I know we had lots of storms but why was this one so bad? The pine tree smell from being splintered and uprooted is in my smell bank forever. Awful smell but fascinating too.
A friend of mine put pics of his place with huge trees down. A huge mess. He said the winds had to had been 100. I'm just trying to figure it out. I don't think people were prepared for this.

From what I am seeing Valdosta is bad. Earlier today they still said 75 to 80 percent of Lowndes County is without power. People are getting salty. With good reason. My mama's power was restored a little while ago but she is lucky. She hasn't returned home to update me though. Was definitely the right move to make her leave. My question is, the highest recorded wind gust was 67 or so. I'm trying to figure out why would that do so much damage. We have regular storms with 60mph gusts and it's not that much damage.
Is it because it's constant? Is it because it's a huge wind area not just an area smaller and quick like a regular storm or tornado?
All of my years living there, I know we had lots of storms but why was this one so bad? The pine tree smell from being splintered and uprooted is in my smell bank forever. Awful smell but fascinating too.
A friend of mine put pics of his place with huge trees down. A huge mess. He said the winds had to had been 100. I'm just trying to figure it out. I don't think people were prepared for this.
It’s the sustained winds. If peak gust was 67 mph , but sustained at 40-50 mph for 15-30 minutes, that’s what really causes the damage on trees and structures!

A) the strongest winds probably wasn't recorded

And B) longer duration is always gonna cause more damage... It's not like your typical severe storm where it's a minute of strong winds and then it's gone

Idalia had no Eastern Eyewall. There was no convection to really mix and maximize the winds at the surface. The surge was generated off shore, and was set in motion before the eyewall collapsed. Had the eye wall maintained, the surge would have been worse.

1693571817276.png

Back