• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

So kind of a dumb question, what's stopping this storm from becoming way stronger than modeled since PR and Hispaniola are no longer factors? That's my biggest fear with Dorian at the moment.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
Not being flippant (and certainly not a "dumb question") ... Nothing is stopping it from getting stronger, or weakening. It's in a good environment, but it really depends now on what track it takes. Central FL would weaken it, if it crosses and gets into the Gulf; then we'd be left to see what remains and if it shot NW or N; the east coast would weaken it if it ran the entire intracoastal; the Gulf would ramp it if it crossed the 'Glades or south of there ... so bottom line ... there is no bottom line yet ...

No mincing words, this image shows what Webb has been saying about outflow also within a very deep moisture envelope. This one is a Cat5 landfall threat in South/Central FL.

Attachments

• us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019082812_105_35_483.png
    us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019082812_105_35_483.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 61
hwrf_ref_05L_26.png

18z HMON is back to a strong Cat. 1(borderline Cat. 2) hurricane approaching the East/Central FL coastline at hr 99 after that weird 12z run of weakening it to a TS.
hmon_mslp_uv850_05L_34.png

That GFS run could have easily been a Carolina landfall with subtle changes based on how the coast is shaped and it wanting to go due north and stall. Interesting to see if the members show that or out to sea. I’m favoring the EURO right now tho.
Amen.....thought the same thing. Subtle changes that the models don't handle very well.

Back