• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

I think we are about to see Dorian undergo it's first RI within the next 24 hours. Large pressure drops are one of the key indicators. Set that as the base and let's wait for the next pass.
Looks like it ate a little bit of dry air in the SW eyewall may keep it at bay for a time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So, the GFS initialized 10 MB too high.
It's not easy to get have a global model reflect the system given the grid spacing and the relatively steep pressure gradient in the system.

If you put the small center at the exact pressure you would probably end up with a micro cane that tried to fit the entire storm in one grid square or a system that was larger than reality as it tried to space the pressure fields

Unfortunately when you try to use a single point on a 9-12km grid square you are going to have issues. It's why you see much more widespread green on the models during the summer when you only get scattered storms

Last edited:
Not liking the strengthening despite the ragged IR appearance.
Yeah that means it's fighting to intensify. When the environment becomes favorable be on the lookout for it to jump a couple categories in 6 hours. It'll probably have an ERC then but still it's going to RI sooner or later. It definitely has a good core.

What do you expect when every person in the SE wants to download every increment and post it somewhere, without comment or explanation ....
I expect what you expect lol. Brilliant minds think alike

The GFS makes landfall as a Category 2 hurricane on the space coast and moves north into Georgia.

Having fun watching 18z as always, even if it's a carbon copy almost as 12z and no new data like were gonna see at 0z

Absolutely horrible, and possible (though the southern solution makes more sense) ...

View attachment 22233
Gfs is slowly getting stronger with the ridge to the north. Its concerning for you though that it hasn't jumped more quickly into more of the euro cmc camp with a stronger ridge

giphy.gif
Model runs got me

That GFS run could have easily been a Carolina landfall with subtle changes based on how the coast is shaped and it wanting to go due north and stall. Interesting to see if the members show that or out to sea. I’m favoring the EURO right now tho.

Back