• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

What a hell of a 180 turn from 7 hours ago before I went to bed when the NHC forecast barely had a Cat. 1 hurricane, now we're looking at least at a Cat. 2 approaching the FL coastline. It's also very concerning how rapidly Dorian has been able to establish any form of an eyewall in what has been not so ideal environmental conditions. It gives me bad vibes of Irma, Maria, Florence, Harvey, and Michael over the past couple years and how they were able to do the same at different stages of their life cycles.

Ouch. Heads almost due W after this.
hwrf_mslp_wind_05L_36.png

WRAL met says although its current forecast track is south Florida, those that reside in Jacksonville/Daytona Beach need to keep an eye on this as the effects could be felt further north.

First hurricane hunter pass this morning finds Dorian to be approaching hurricane status w/ max winds near 55 knots (65 mph) and minimum central pressure close to 1000 mb.
Intensifying much earlier than we thought... its beginning to look like OTS is our only hope to avoid major cane

What a hell of a 180 turn from 7 hours ago before I went to bed when the NHC forecast barely had a Cat. 1 hurricane, now we're looking at least at a Cat. 2 approaching the FL coastline. It's also very concerning how rapidly Dorian has been able to establish any form of an eyewall in what has been not so ideal environmental conditions. It gives me bad vibes of Irma, Maria, Florence, Harvey, and Michael over the past couple years and how they were able to do the same at different stages of their life cycles.
Absolutely crazy to think this is only our fourth named storm ... and it could be the most memorable yet ..

The upper-level pattern on the HWRF is downright scary. 3 outflow channels for #Dorian to work with near the northern Bahamas.
Umm...

View attachment 22163

Here's an edited version of the same image so others on here can see what I'm talking about.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen an Atlantic TC forecast to interact w/ 3 outflow channels, hurricane Isabel (2003) was one of them.

Really can't be overstated enough how favorable this upper-level pattern is likely going to be in 3-4 days for Dorian.

Yikes

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.13.39 AM.png

I think there is little doubt now that it will be much further N/NE in the short term, I also think there is little doubt it will eventually turn back west and then it becomes all about timing.... just how far west before the trough pulls it north.

Absolutely crazy to this this is only our fourth named storm ... and it could be the most memorable yet ..
Well Andrew was the first in the year it hit Florida. I'm sure this is going to be "the" storm of the year.
Here's an edited version of the same image so others on here can see what I'm talking about.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a TC forecast to interact w/ 3 outflow channels, hurricane Isabel (2003) was one of them.

Really can't be overstated enough how favorable this upper-level pattern is likely going to be in 3-4 days for Dorian.

Yikes

View attachment 22166
From the way I see it, if you take this into account and add the steering into the factor, it's not looking good for FL at all. From what TWC was discussing this morning, they're saying the GFS and Euro ensembles mostly steer right into Florida and the operational GFS seems to be on the more northern end of the runs. I've also noticed the HWRF and HMON dropped back further SW and both hit the space coast. I also saw the legacy come back that way as well. I think this trend north has stopped and the models are starting to come closer to the stronger ridge the Euro is advertising.

Once this clears PR we should have a better idea of what it'll do. When it gets to around the Bahamas we should have an idea of where the landfall will be. Until then the models will keep shifting the track up and down.

Back