• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

Apparently possibly hundreds of people are stranded on Ocracoke Island and reports of "catastrophic flooding".... it's a small beautiful Island with only about 900 residents but my guess is they have come through so many storms, most did not evacuate. Praying it's not as bad as it is sounding.
Didn’t we hear catastrophic flooding reports coming out of Ocracoke after Florence too?

Didn’t we hear catastrophic flooding reports coming out of Ocracoke after Florence too?
Honestly I don't recall.... pretty sure we here catastrophic flooding with all TC's in recent memory.

I will say this is different though. They took a direct hit from a probably stronger than usual western eyewall and the sound side surge it sounds like is brutal!

Honestly I don't recall.... pretty sure we here catastrophic flooding with all TC's in recent memory.

I will say this is different though. They took a direct hit from a probably stronger than usual western eyewall and the sound side surge it sounds like is brutal!

yeah look at the Pamlico River at Washington dump out when the winds went N to NW.....look at the time at this one and the one below to see where all the water went

pamn7_hg.png

ocan7_hg.png

Dorian causing catastrophic flooding on Ocracoke Island
ocracoke+dorian+flooding.jpg

...DORIAN STILL CAUSING LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND
HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS...

During the past hour, a elevated Weatherflow station at Jannette
Pier, North Carolina, recently reported sustained winds of 83 mph
(133 km/h) and a wind gust of 98 mph (157 km/h).

This is the last regularly scheduled Tropical Cyclone Update for
Dorian. An intermediate advisory will be issued at 2 pm EDT,
followed by the next complete advisory at 5 pm EDT.

SUMMARY OF 100 PM EDT...1700 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...35.9N 74.1W
ABOUT 95 MI...155 KM ENE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 45 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB...28.29 INCHES

Bradford pear killer. Lots of bradford pears split and I saw 3 full trees down. Rest were large branches. One fraternity house at ECU had a tree top pop and crush 4 cars.

...HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS RECENTLY REPORTED ON THE NORTH
CAROLINA OUTER BANKS...
...NEW WARNINGS AND WATCHES ISSUED FOR EASTERN CANADA...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...36.2N 73.7W
ABOUT 125 MI...200 KM NE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 400 MI...645 KM SSW OF NANTUCKET MASSACHUSETTS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 50 DEGREES AT 21 MPH...34 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB...28.29 INCHES

Not that it matters for the US but satellite presentation seems to be improving already for Dorian. Atlantic Canada could really take it on the chin here.

When he goes it's going to be good riddance.

For what its worth, the possible snow from Dorian is also still on the table up there lol.

Avalon Pier, Kill Devil Hills

100 yards from my father In law’s cottage. I don’t know where they’ll come up with the money to fix this. I was fishing on that section of pier 5 weeks ago
BE9A9FAF-97A5-4EA7-BF37-CD7F1FF65F31.jpeg

Back