• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

I can say that while I did not expect much up my way, every single model did show 40-45 mph gust with the HRRR and 3k NAM showing 50 a few times, highest thus far has been 38.

Wasted 2 days. We didn't used to close for rain and partly cloudy skies when I was in school.
I agree completely and this "debate" comes up every year whether TC or winter weather, but back then people weren't handing out lawsuits like free samples at the Fair either. This is a litigation world we live in and honestly I'd hate to be those in position to make the call

Wasted 2 days. We didn't used to close for rain and partly cloudy skies when I was in school.

I can kind of understand yesterday with them saying they weren't sure how conditions would be around here. We did have tornadoes yesterday from the hurricane, even though none were in Wake, and we were under a tropical storm warning. But today makes no sense at all. Every forecast said we'd be in the clear here by the morning. If they wanted to be cautious, they could have had the one hour delay and then changed it if it was worse than anticipated.

Hard to believe that tomorrow afternoon Dorian will be off the coast of Nova Scotia. Where was this speed when it was over the Bahamas?

Models over played the wind here. Every model had winds of 60+ with some going crazy like the Hrrr and Nam. EURO also had strong winds for us. Gfs was the lowest with around upper 50s.

We gusted to around 50. Officially at PGV peak sustained wind was 37 and highest gust 48. There was a period where the gusts were pretty strong for a couple hours.

This was not as bad as Mathew but a little stronger than florence here.

Hatteras landfall. Could have told you that 3 days ago. My father in law didn’t board up the cottage in KDH so I’m hoping it was uneventful up that way. What’s next

091553_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...35.7N 74.8W
ABOUT 50 MI...85 KM NE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 460 MI...740 KM SW OF NANTUCKET MASSACHUSETTS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 45 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...957 MB...28.26 INCHES

Models over played the wind here. Every model had winds of 60+ with some going crazy like the Hrrr and Nam. EURO also had strong winds for us. Gfs was the lowest with around upper 50s.

We gusted to around 50. Officially at PGV peak sustained wind was 37 and highest gust 48. There was a period where the gusts were pretty strong for a couple hours.

This was not as bad as Mathew but a little stronger than florence here.

PGV is missing a few hrs of obs from 2-4am so its possible there is something higher than 48 though not by much 50-55 tops, it was rough during that time frame and I was pissed PGV wasnt posting obs, though I feel like 5-6am was the peak worse gust, the center was only 75 miles or so away at that time....

I feel like 50mph is a good number, lots of big branches down etc but dont see any tree's down, gonna take a ride here in a sec and see if any trees are down, one thing I noticed was the gust were more downburst like and shorter like in a thunderstorm and not the long rolling tree killing gust we see in the core wind field of storms that come more inland...

If the track had been right along the coast and inland at MHX and into the Pamlico like the models showed for days then I think we would have seen the 70 mph stuff, but when they move slow they always bounce around the coast like that.....

Apparently possibly hundreds of people are stranded on Ocracoke Island and reports of "catastrophic flooding".... it's a small beautiful Island with only about 900 residents but my guess is they have come through so many storms, most did not evacuate. Praying it's not as bad as it is sounding.

Back