• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Hurricane Debby

This should probably go without saying, but please refrain from comments like "We're dead now" in this thread. You can always make nonsensical and OT comments in the banter thread. That's why we have that. Thanks very much.

Yeah. I'm not saying the rgem is right, but it feels like to me that some of the other models are under-doing the amounts over inland sections. The rgem feels extreme, but the system may end up being very slow moving, like the models have been showing. And if that continues to be the case, I would expect higher amounts to be reflected across the board as we move in.

We have no trouble getting under "death bands" when it's rain during a cane...

Understood , Fran is my memory but understand Floyd for your location! I had just flown out to be stationed in Okinawa for a year but looked at the news for the area of the Neuse/Trent. Catastrophic flooding from Goldsboro to the Coast.
Floyd brings back memories. I was dating my wife then and she was living near Goldsboro. Her father and one of her uncles had their homes condemned due to the flooding around the Neuse River. The only time I have ever hydroplaned while I was driving occurred right after Floyd was pulling away from North Carolina on Highway 70 near Princeton. I ended up making it back to my house with about $ 1,000.00 worth of damage to the car I was driving. Ironically, my wife's name is Debbie. The dog in my avatar is named Gordon and his name is on this year's list of storm names too.

part of 11 am discussion:

Debby has been moving through a break in the subtropical ridge with
an estimated initial motion of 030/7 kt. Steering currents are
expected to weaken some more, resulting in a further decrease in
forward speed. Most of the track guidance turns Debby eastward,
with the center moving off the coast near the Georgia/South
Carolina border in about 36 hours. Debby should move very slowly
near the South Carolina coast through 60 hours or so. Then, a
mid-level ridge builds slightly to the northeast of the cyclone,
which should push the system back inland over the latter part of
the forecast period. The official forecast track is a blend of the
simple and corrected dynamical consensus models, TVCA and HCCA.

Continued weakening is expected while the center of Debby remains
over land tonight and Tuesday. By late Tuesday and thereafter,
some restrengthening is anticipated as the center moves offshore.
However the amount that the cyclone re-intensifies is dependent on
how far out over the Atlantic the system moves and how long it
remains over water. The current official forecast shows only
modest restrengthening, given the uncertainties.

Going forward, the biggest threat from this slow-moving system
system is extreme precipitation and flooding over the southeastern
United States.

Cool spin East of Hilton Head. Gonna have some tornado warnings shortly.

Back