• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Hurricane Debby

Already have one round come through and now a bigger cell is on the way in a few minutes. Funny enough had more thunder during Debbie than we’ve had with these pop ups.

There’s an ugly situation in Nichols tonight with more rain. The Lumber River started to back up through the storm water drainage system today and when I came through there after lunch was a few inches deep in places. Now this and it can’t go anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_4049.png
    IMG_4049.png
    896.9 KB · Views: 10
Crossed the Lumber River this afternoon on Hwy 74. She was up no doubt. Also the Lockwood Folly on 211 was up right under the bridge. The backroads that had been blocked, where open as I traversed, signage pushed to the side between Holden Beach and Oak Island on the main land side of ICW.

Tried to get to the Middle school but road was blocked, here’s the home that collapsed killed that man

IMG_8797.jpeg

Little River , nothing I haven’t seen before and Matthew was far far higher and over the bridge but still looks cool

IMG_8791.jpeg

Contentea Creek

Almost flooded up to Bills which was flooded in Matthew and closed after

IMG_8796.jpeg

336 AM EDT SAT AUG 10 2024

..FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR GREENSBORO

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS EXTENDED THE

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
WESTERN GUILFORD COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 545 AM EDT.

* AT 336 AM EDT, EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REPORTED CONTINUED FLASH
FLOODING CONCERNS ACROSS THE WARNED AREA, INCLUDING CARS
UNDERWATER NEAR THE 5600 BLOCK OF WESLO WILLOW CIRCLE IN
GREENSBORO.

THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR GREENSBORO. THIS IS A
PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

HAZARD...LIFE THREATENING FLASH FLOODING. THUNDERSTORMS
PRODUCING FLASH FLOODING.

SOURCE...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REPORTED.

IMPACT...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK
HIGHER GROUND NOW! LIFE THREATENING FLASH FLOODING OF
LOW WATER CROSSINGS, SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS, URBAN
AREAS, HIGHWAYS, STREETS AND UNDERPASSES.

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLASH FLOODING INCLUDE...
GREENSBORO, HIGH POINT, SUMMERFIELD, JAMESTOWN, OAK HOLLOW MARINA,
LAKE BRANDT AND LAKE JEANETTE MARINA.

FLASH FLOOD...OBSERVED
FLASH FLOOD DAMAGE THREAT...CATASTROPHIC

1723276796431.png

Then shortly after 9 p.m. ... The thunderstorms grew to more than 50 thousand feet over Northern Guilford and Alamance Counties over the course of the next two hours.

Greensboro Police Department Officers began responding to numerous calls from area drivers trapped in their vehicles just before 11:00 p.m. on Friday night.

Emergency management workers also report a possible dam failure at Friendly Lake, but due to dark conditions, a determination may have to wait until early Saturday.

Abundunt tropical moisture combined with energy ahead of a stationary boundary on Friday evening along with deep moisture convergence to create the life-threatening flash flooding in Alamance and Guilford Counties.

By 12:37 a.m. Greensboro and Western Guilford County were placed under a Flash Flood Emergency and the warning for Western Guilford County with an upgrade to a Flash flood Emergency: Catastrophic Damage Threat was extended until 3:45 a.m.

At 3:36 a.m. the National Weather Service Meteorologists extended the Flash Flood Warning for Guilford County until 5:45 a.m.

Last edited:
Extended to 7:45 AM.

528 AM EDT SAT AUG 10 2024

..FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR GREENSBORO

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS EXTENDED THE

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...
WESTERN GUILFORD COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 745 AM EDT.

* AT 528 AM EDT, EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT REPORTED CONTINUED FLOODING
CONCERNS. AS OF 530 AM, SEVERAL ROADS WERE STILL CLOSED DUE TO
WATER OVER THE ROADWAYS.

THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR GREENSBORO. THIS IS A
PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

I checked my garage for the 1st time since the rain ended on Wednesday and noticed I have standing water in a small portion of my garage (along a wall) and that doors to a storage room on that side are wrinkled on the bottom despite the water having receded where they are. (see pic below) Also, cardboard boxes for things I’ve stored in there for years are damp up 6”.

It appears the water came in from below the sides of the garage door. I had thought all was ok with the house despite getting 11” over 3 days til I saw this! I got more from Matthew in 2016 within a shorter period and don’t recall much, if any, water in the garage.

Although the water has receded a good bit, the fact that there’s still 1/4” of standing water in a corner along and near a paneled wall (water barely touching baseboard) 3 days after the heaviest of Debby is a little concerning. I don’t know if the slowness to dry will lead to any issues.

It’s covered by FEMA Flood insurance, but the deductible is 2K. And filing a claim would likely increase my premium. I think the key is whether or not I’ll need a water mitigation company, which usually charge many thousands just to put in fans and dehumidifiers. If I don’t, I’d think the max damage would be below the 2K (replace doors and baseboard).

View attachment 149777

After looking more closely, I believe the bulk (if not all) of the water leakage into my garage from the very heavy Debby rains was likely due to, believe it or not, the garage door bottom seal being brittle/less flexible, especially on one end! Due to ignorance, I never worried about the seal. And if you look at the seal, there’s nothing obvious…no tears or spots where it is out of place. I had to look real closely and felt the brittleness. Of course, it took a once in a decade heavy rain to cause the issue.

Thus, I plan to get the seal replaced ASAP. In the meantime, the wet areas continue to slowly dry with hardly any standing water left but with a moist mess still lingering and wet boxes. I’m waiting on help to get my heavier stored items to be moved to the center so as to clear out the wet areas. Once that’s done, I’ll push broom any lingering standing water out followed most likely by renting a high velocity fan(s) and possibly a dehumidifier for a day or two. I’ll then decide whether or not the baseboard will need to be replaced. I can replace those storage room doors later. I’ll try to go through some of my stuff to see what needs to be trashed.

Please no more heavy rain anytime soon though I did get better part of 1” late today from a T storm. I’m ready for drought for awhile. Shetley, can you make drought happen? I may need your help!

After looking more closely, I believe the bulk (if not all) of the water leakage into my garage from the very heavy Debby rains was likely due to, believe it or not, the garage door bottom seal being brittle/less flexible, especially on one end! Due to ignorance, I never worried about the seal. And if you look at the seal, there’s nothing obvious…no tears or spots where it is out of place. I had to look real closely and felt the brittleness. Of course, it took a once in a decade heavy rain to cause the issue.

Thus, I plan to get the seal replaced ASAP. In the meantime, the wet areas continue to slowly dry with hardly any standing water left but with a moist mess still lingering and wet boxes. I’m waiting on help to get my heavier stored items to be moved to the center so as to clear out the wet areas. Once that’s done, I’ll push broom any lingering standing water out followed most likely by renting a high velocity fan(s) and possibly a dehumidifier for a day or two. I’ll then decide whether or not the baseboard will need to be replaced. I can replace those storage room doors later. I’ll try to go through some of my stuff to see what needs to be trashed.

Please no more heavy rain anytime soon though I did get better part of 1” late today from a T storm. I’m ready for drought for awhile. Shetley, can you make drought happen? I may need your help!

Invest in some sandbags regardless mayne. They'll come in useful at some point again. You can even make some with some old tater' sacks.

@SENC. Check out the damage from Debby at the point on Holden beach. No beach left we were 2 hours from high tide and waves were already running up onto the dunes.

Screenshot_20240816_203040_Gallery.jpg

Back