• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Eric guy on Twitter is sure making the climate change community look bad. His tweets get worse and worse.

The deniers aren’t helpful. They’re no better than the flat earthers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where’s all the deniers now?

I'm not a 100% denier but I'm certainly not sold on GW either. We only have weather records for the last 150 yrs or so, anything before that, especially thousands of years, is speculative imho. The article you posted earlier today focused on the last 2k yrs, which if the world has been here for millions of years, is a small sample size. Way too small to be scientifically conclusive. And "the world is ending' rhetoric doesn't help either

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well lets see we got massive back to back heatwaves breaking records by several degrees. The sea ice, glaciers and ice sheets are melting at record levels due to extreme temperature anomalies. We got massive fires in the arctic burning through the peat moss throwing up even more co2. We are just getting started. I can’t even imagine what the next few decades will be like much less next year. Even if the government buckles down hard and moves to cut emissions drastically all it will do is delay the inedible as feedbacks are already kicking in. All Trump has done is add a few more nails to the coffin. This issue should have been handled long ago but greedy oil companies did us in. Burning fossil fuel for energy is dirty and extremely inefficient. We should have dropped it decades ago in favor of electric power from renewables, nuclear ie fission at first then later antimatter and fusion reactors and better batteries.

Well lets see we got massive back to back heatwaves breaking records by several degrees. The sea ice, glaciers and ice sheets are melting at record levels due to extreme temperature anomalies. We got massive fires in the arctic burning through the peat moss throwing up even more co2. We are just getting started. I can’t even imagine what the next few decades will be like much less next year. Even if the government buckles down hard and moves to cut emissions drastically all it will do is delay the inedible as feedbacks are already kicking in. All Trump has done is add a few more nails to the coffin. This issue should have been handled long ago but greedy oil companies did us in. Burning fossil fuel for energy is dirty and extremely inefficient. We should have dropped it decades ago in favor of electric power from renewables, nuclear ie fission at first then later antimatter and fusion reactors and better batteries.

What they should have done is created undersea tunnels that funnelled CO2 from the atmosphere into a man made black hole that warped it to Mars.

What you're saying is that this is the first time we've had back to back record breaking heatwaves, this is the first time we've had massive Arctic wildfires, and that sea ice and glaciers are melting at the fastest rate in the history of the world.

Let's stipulate for a second that is 100% true.

What is the expected outcome (and for the sake of being in the ballpark of reality, let's take "the world will end" off the table)?

The US government alone can't change a large portion of the emissions. China and many countries like it that rely on manufacturing and choose cheaper options like coal can't be stopped because their massive populations. In 2015 China was almost emitting double the CO2 of America. What's the world going to do? Fight China and cause a global economic catastrophe by shutting a large chunk of manufacturing down in an instant? You can shift it to more efficient options over time, but going by the "alarmists" standards like yours there isn't any.

Also, fission doesn't exist in modern powerplants and would cost trillions to research and create, which is why we haven't done it sooner. Antimatter reactors? You know how powerful antimatter is right? That stuff can be more dangerous than nukes, costs a fortune, and the tech isn't there for its energy to be harnessed yet. If you think we are going to have that in your lifetime you're wrong.

I see you're also cherry picking the worst disasters just to prove a point. Also don't act like America is the only one at fault, as I mentioned. Yes, the US in it's life time has produced more CO2 than any other nation, but that's history and it can't be changed. But is the world going to end because of it? No. Fear mongering isn't going to cause action.

It has to be treated like the crises it is and massive mobilization implemented. We can’t just let the world fall apart around us. Denying the urgency of the issue will only make things worse in the long run due to the lag in the climate system and feedbacks that are poorly understood but are now being observed.

It has to be treated like the crises it is and massive mobilization implemented. We can’t just let the world fall apart around us. Denying the urgency of the issue will only make things worse in the long run due to the lag in the climate system and feedbacks that are poorly understood but are now being observed.

Listen to what I'm going to say here. This is a sad and hard, but stone cold truth: The world will NEVER EVER unite around anything unless it is universally being profoundly negatively affected. That in itself virtually assures us that we will cross the event horizon/point of no return. Does it make sense to seek out new and better energy forms? Absolutely. Will it happen before it's too late? No. So that leaves us with my question from before: What do you expect the outcome(s) to be? We're 100% guaranteed to have to face it. So what is it?

Listen to what I'm going to say here. This is a sad and hard, but stone cold truth: The world will NEVER EVER unite around anything unless it is universally being profoundly negatively affected. That in itself virtually assures us that we will cross the event horizon/point of no return. Does it make sense to seek out new and better energy forms? Absolutely. Will it happen before it's too late? No. So that leaves us with my question from before: What do you expect the outcome(s) to be? We're 100% guaranteed to have to face it. So what is it?

Heck we can't even do that in America. Last Ive noticed amoung those who are screaming about Climate change; the politicans are still living in massive houses they do not need, movie stars are still going on elaborate vacations on private jets, and billionaires who tell government to tax them have not bought people in their states solar panels or electric cars.

You hear nothing about moving out of cities where you smog up the air by sitting three hours in rush hour traffic or trying to grow your own food to reduce carbon footprint.

The science may be solid, but the reaction is a farce.

How can anyone model what the outcome will be with any degree of accuracy? The models can't even get the degree of warming correct. The problem is that imagination runs wild with future possibilities depending on your world-view. What if increased CO2 brings methodical warming of otherwise frozen land that we can farm effectively? What if the added CO2 supports faster and more widespread plant growth? What if the Sahara desert becomes a new bread basket? You can play the "what if" game forever with positive and negative outcomes. The wisest response is to adapt to whatever seems likely to occur in the near future without sacrificing freedom and turning over control to more government entities.

And all of this while we take the focus off more immediate, severe and systemic problems like biosphere toxicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back