• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anyone model what the outcome will be with any degree of accuracy? The models can't even get the degree of warming correct. The problem is that imagination runs wild with future possibilities depending on your world-view. What if increased CO2 brings methodical warming of otherwise frozen land that we can farm effectively? What if the added CO2 supports faster and more widespread plant growth? What if the Sahara desert becomes a new bread basket? You can play the "what if" game forever with positive and negative outcomes. The wisest response is to adapt to whatever seems likely to occur in the near future without sacrificing freedom and turning over control to more government entities.

And all of this while we take the focus off more immediate, severe and systemic problems like biosphere toxicity.

The problem is cities where built under the assumption that the climate would remain stable and now it’s destabilizing rapidly. People won’t be able to adapt in time. They will migrate in mass causing huge disruptions to society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look more good news

2e17075ff605196db561ddf9f03363a5.jpg

Looks like Tom Steyer has the right idea.

Sure it sounds good on paper, but implementation and the timeline plus a divisive political atmosphere would crush it before it could even take ground. Not to mention when the economy goes downhill again it'll stop anything that doesn't address the basic needs of the people. At least a by 2045 goalpost is more attainable than by 2025 or 2030 one.

The problem is cities where built under the assumption that the climate would remain stable and now it’s destabilizing rapidly. People won’t be able to adapt in time. They will migrate in mass causing huge disruptions to society.

Where is the proof that the climate is destabilizing rapidly? What is considered rapid for climate changes? Are you talking about sea rise or just general weather norms? People live in Phoenix, AZ, one the most inhospitable places in North America - how do they do it?? How fast is the sea rising? Can you predict how fast it will rise? What if it doesn't? People should start leaving all of Florida and the coasts, now. Look at this Forbes article, Florida is 100% submerged in a 1,000 years. Why not just prepare for a bail-out of property lost to the sea? Would that be less expensive? Of course we just keep running huge deficits on welfare to keep people voting for whoever is in office, so we probably can't afford that either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevor...look-like-if-all-the-ice-melted/#c8ac2cbc4959

Once you turn over control to a centralized government, good luck ever getting anything close to "freedom" again. Once you turn it over to an oligarchy, they are going to snap back and reverse any policies that got them the power they wanted. People, in general, are NOT altruistic in government. We likely have generations to adapt. There will be losers and winners. We need to start planning on being one of the winners. Let the free market work for us.

lol saying the world would end from GW ? I’d be wayyyyyyyy more worried over a cosmic event for example a asteroid/comet, shoot even Yellowstone even tho it’s likely it won’t explode in are lifetime, a asteroid that could take out a city passed by earlier

Eric Holthaus is a complete nut job and has destroyed any reputability he once had. The same could also be said for our beloved Joe Bastardi who spews out utter bull crap on a daily basis like it’s going out of style. It’s important for everyone to understand that Holthaus doesn’t represent even a modest morsel of the sentiment held by actual scientists in the field & is being rightfully called out for his nonsensical alarmist -------- by those who actually know what they’re doing. This Holthaus circus should not detract away from the fact that after hundreds and hundreds of studies, observations, etc, anthropogenic global warming is indeed real and playing a significant role in the climate. The anthropogenic influence on climate is only growing with time as greenhouse gas emissions increase and the earth progressively adjusts to the new underlying base state we’re incessantly pushing it to.

It’s an unfortunate reality, especially with social media, that the most extreme, completely unreasonable points of view like Holthaus’ become sensationalized and broad-brushed to represent a particular group of individuals opinion on a subject matter. In conjunction with politicians who are only concerned about protecting their own pocket books and actually have no expertise in atmospheric science, you wonder why climate change is so polarizing, because it really shouldn’t be. It’s pretty evident to most of those in my field including myself, that climate change is in fact real and we are mainly to blame for the changing base state since the industrial revolution. Natural variability only temporarily masks the very obvious long-term trend.

It’s a complete disgrace Holthaus even has a degree in meteorology to begin with. He is the martyr that fuels AGW denier garbage.

Also, I could really care less if your opinion differs appreciably from mine or were offended or appalled by anything I said in this post, including my usage of the term “denier”. This is an opinion I’ve formed after a) having about a decade of experience delving into this topic b) at one time being a denier myself c) reading hundreds and hundreds of pieces of literature on climate change d) working my butt off to get my degree and understand the science of climate change and e) interacting with experts in the field who have molded my view on the topic.

I.e. All of the above means I probably know what I’m talking about when it comes to climate change, but if you don’t want to listen to what I have to say you’re not going to hurt my feelings.

Eric Holthaus is a complete nut job and has destroyed any reputability he once had. The same could also be said for our beloved Joe Bastardi who spews out utter bull crap on a daily basis like it’s going out of style. It’s important for everyone to understand that Holthaus doesn’t represent even a modest morsel of the sentiment held by actual scientists in the field & is being rightfully called out for his nonsensical alarmist -------- by those who actually know what they’re doing. This Holthaus circus should not detract away from the fact that after hundreds and hundreds of studies, observations, etc, anthropogenic global warming is indeed real and playing a significant role in the climate. The anthropogenic influence on climate is only growing with time as greenhouse gas emissions increase and the earth progressively adjusts to the new underlying base state we’re incessantly pushing it to.

It’s an unfortunate reality, especially with social media, that the most extreme, completely unreasonable points of view like Holthaus’ become sensationalized and broad-brushed to represent a particular group of individuals opinion on a subject matter. In conjunction with politicians who are only concerned about protecting their own pocket books and actually have no expertise in atmospheric science, you wonder why climate change is so polarizing, because it really shouldn’t be. It’s pretty evident to most of those in my field including myself, that climate change is in fact real and we are mainly to blame for the changing base state since the industrial revolution. Natural variability only temporarily masks the very obvious long-term trend.

It’s a complete disgrace Holthaus even has a degree in meteorology to begin with. He is the martyr that fuels AGW denier garbage.

Also, I could really care less if your opinion differs appreciably from mine or were offended or appalled by anything I said in this post, including my usage of the term “denier”. This is an opinion I’ve formed after a) having about a decade of experience delving into this topic b) at one time being a denier myself c) reading hundreds and hundreds of pieces of literature on climate change d) working my butt off to get my degree and understand the science of climate change and e) interacting with experts in the field who have molded my view on the topic.

I.e. All of the above means I probably know what I’m talking about when it comes to climate change, but if you don’t want to listen to what I have to say you’re not going to hurt my feelings.

Great post, I don’t believe man is the reason but I appreciate your hard work. The great thing about this country is that you can agree to disagree and still not want to kill that other person because we are adults on a weather board.

We already have crazy weather from just 1C of warming. I can’t even imagine what 3C of warming will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back