• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Global Model Runs Discussion 2018

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_26.png
gfs east again

A little worrisome that the Euro has basically nothing at all in the gulf. We will see if GFS is still king!?

I'll take the euro

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 0Z Euro’s mid 990s mb TC 200 miles SE of the NC OB at hour 156 is almost definitely fake news. This reminds me of that fake cyclone the Euro had earlier this month forming a mere 25 miles offshore the E coast of FL moving south, which I also called fake and was. For one thing, the prior Euro run had nothing of the sort. Also, neither the GFS nor the CMC has anything like that. Furthermore, only 2 other members of the EPS and no members of the last few GEFS had anything of similar strength. I’d be highly surprised if the 12Z Euro has this but we’ll see. This feeling is despite the well above normal SSTs in that area. Climo maps for late June show very little near there by the way.

Last edited:
The 0Z Euro’s mid 990s mb TC 200 miles SE of the NC OB at hour 156 is almost definitely fake news. This reminds me of that fake cyclone the Euro had earlier this month forming a mere 25 miles offshore the E coast of FL moving south, which I also called fake and was. For one thing, the prior Euro run had nothing of the sort. Also, neither the GFS nor the CMC has anything like that. Furthermore, only 2 other members of the EPS and no members of the last few GEFS had anything of similar strength. I’d be highly surprised if the 12Z Euro has this but we’ll see. This feeling is despite the well above normal SSTs in that area. Climo maps for late June show very little near there by the way.
Fake cyclone on the Euro? I'm surprised that it would be the only one showing such a system. If nothing else gets on board, it's indeed a fake.

Fake cyclone on the Euro? I'm surprised that it would be the only one showing such a system. If nothing else gets on board, it's indeed a fake.

Yeah, the Euro has them from time to time, including that aforementioned fake TS barely off the E coast of FL. By the way, the 0Z ICON had something similar at hour 126 but the 6Z at hour 120 dropped it. Also, the CMC at 12Z yesterday had something further south but the 0Z dropped that. If this were August or Sept, I might give it a little more credibility. But this is late June, a very quiet time of year there. Climo is always in the back of my mind when analyzing possibilities:

June 21-30 TC tracks since 1851: only one in the last 167 years on record to have formed within 200 miles of where the 0Z Euro has it forming:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/jun_21_30.png

Last edited:
Its fairly unlikely but the closed ridge over new England and exiting mcv at least gives a chance at development off of the SE coast

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Its fairly unlikely but the closed ridge over new England and exiting mcv at least gives a chance at development off of the SE coast

With climo as a tool to give me high confidence that the 0Z Euro is imagining things, I’m currently giving it no more than a 1% chance for there to be a named storm to come out of this. The 12Z GFS doesn’t support it and the 12Z GEFS has zero members out of 21 with an under 1004 mb low off the US E coast through hour 192. So, no support there. The 12Z UKMET has no closed low. The CMC and ICON are back with something at 12Z with a closed low forming near the upper SC coast at hour 72. However, it forming right near the coast looks suspicious and the ICON has yet to impress me in the tropics. I know Forsyth kind of likes it more now, but the CMC isn’t the best model. The 12Z CMC ensembles have zero members of 21 with a low having lower than 1004 mb strength off the SE coast through hour 192+. Let’s see if the 12Z Euro holds onto it. Even if it does, I won’t be buying it yet, if ever.

Last edited:
Though surprising to me that the Euro still has something similar at 12Z, I’m still discounting it as it develops a closed surface low (from a meso complex?) over land in S NC that then moves offshore and strengthens. If this were a frontal related meso-scale low over land in August or maybe even in July progged to move offshore and develop (similar to what happened in 1983 with Alicia in the N Gulf) and it ALSO had support from the UKMET, the GFS, and the GEFS, I might give it a decent chance. But this is the present day Euro, which has its quirks with development over land or just offshore like it did over TX recently as well as barely offshore E FL recently. Furthermore, it has support only from the on again ICON and CMC. So, I’m sticking with this being a fake TC and still with high confidence for at least now knowing climo back to 1851 is mainly on my side.

Though surprising to me that the Euro still has something similar at 12Z, I’m still discounting it as it develops a closed surface low (from a meso complex?) over land in S NC that then moves offshore and strengthens. If this were a frontal related meso-scale low over land in August or maybe even in July progged to move offshore and develop (similar to what happened in 1983 with Alicia in the N Gulf) and it ALSO had support from the UKMET, the GFS, and the GEFS, I might give it a decent chance. But this is the present day Euro, which has its quirks with development over land or just offshore like it did over TX recently as well as barely offshore E FL recently. Furthermore, it has support only from the on again ICON and CMC. So, I’m sticking with this being a fake TC and still with high confidence for at least now knowing climo back to 1851 is mainly on my side.
The whole set up favors nothing ... give it until after the 15th ... IMHO

The whole set up favors nothing ... give it until after the 15th ... IMHO

Welcome back from your hiatus!

The 12Z EPS has more members (about 10 of 50) than the only a couple of the 0Z EPS with a low of 1004 mb or stronger off the E coast of the US with almost all of them moving NE paralleling the coast similar to the operational Euro. Though that’s interesting, I still don’t think there will be a TC coming out of this.

Welcome back from your hiatus!

The 12Z EPS has more members (about 10 of 50) than the only a couple of the 0Z EPS with a low of 1004 mb or stronger off the E coast of the US with almost all of them moving NE paralleling the coast similar to the operational Euro. Though that’s interesting, I still don’t think there will be a TC coming out of this.
Larry,
That's 20% ... LOL ... and some above 1000 mb ... 2X LOL
What's important is the long range dynamics, and "I" could well be completely wrong (surely wouldn't be the 1st time), but there is very little to suggest any formation of anything but a rainstorm of sorts ...
Yet, "I'm" still in for 2 named storms in July (just not in the early part of the month) ...
Just a very small sampling of my reasoning here ...
sfc_count_sup814_prec.gif sfc_count_sup814_temp.gif
BTW - "hiatus" is a kind word ...
Best as always!

Last edited:
0z Euro has a TS near Cape Cod in a mere 96 hours o_O

It is weaker than previous runs though(and much closer to the US in general)

Back