• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Deer can leap an 8’ fence in a single bound!
They can, but if you install another row of this poly about 3 feet from the first, they won't be able to figure out how to fly above them both and they choose the easier path. Now if they are being chased, all bets are off. Deer are lazy and picky eaters.

Has anyone used Deer Busters heavy duty fencing? Wondering how it actually holds up over time IRL vs what they claim on their site.
We've had great success with a similar product. Cost effective but won't keep out snapping turtles. Had one try to nest in my garden. Forced her way under the netting.

I can’t wait to plant my annuals and ‘maters in June! ??

Has anyone used Deer Busters heavy duty fencing? Wondering how it actually holds up over time IRL vs what they claim on their site.
Have you seen the motion sensor water sprinkler ? Its designed for keeping unwanted critters away.

I think I'm trying some container peppers this year. Ghost peppers and Banana peppers. Ghost peppers as ornamentals only . Reapers if my local stores have them this year.

Reactions: SD
I think I'm trying some container peppers this year. Ghost peppers and Banana peppers. Ghost peppers as ornamentals only . Reapers if my local stores have them this year.
You are missing out if you only grow the ghosts and reapers as ornamentals! They both have great depth of flavor beyond the obvious heat. Used *very* sparingly, they are great in all kinds of recipes and make incredible sauces when cut with carrots and other ingredients. Also pretty easy to grow from seed -- you just have to be patient as the hotter peppers take longer to germinate and bear fruit than pretty much anything else. I've had really good luck with seeds from Pepper Joe's.

You are missing out if you only grow the ghosts and reapers as ornamentals! They both have great depth of flavor beyond the obvious heat. Used *very* sparingly, they are great in all kinds of recipes and make incredible sauces when cut with carrots and other ingredients. Also pretty easy to grow from seed -- you just have to be patient as the hotter peppers take longer to germinate and bear fruit than pretty much anything else. I've had really good luck with seeds from Pepper Joe's.
One Reaper pepper will make 100 jars of extra hot salsa ! I made vinegar sauce with them last time and gave most of them away. People wanted them . Took some to work and had a fun time watching a few people or fools eat them.

You can mail order seed and or plants. From the breeder in SC and or many other places. I grew Reapers in a pot, and they did well! He has a hotter pepper now called PepperX

One Reaper pepper will make 100 jars of extra hot salsa ! I made vinegar sauce with them last time and gave most of them away. People wanted them . Took some to work and had a fun time watching a few people or fools eat them.
I have all of mine away! People really do love them! I might grow some up here this summer.
I had a guy tell me he ruined 2lbs of chili by putting a pinkie nail size piece of Reaper in it! Was too hot for his family to eat

You can mail order seed and or plants. From the breeder in SC and or many other places. I grew Reapers in a pot, and they did well! He has a hotter pepper now called PepperX
I ordered seeds from him my first time. The stores here started carrying his plants now under the Puckerbutt brand. The Pepper X has to be deadly !

Mid April is the "average" last frost for me. I'm rolling the dice and saying no more this Spring. I'm going to start planting.

Reactions: SD
Mid April is the "average" last frost for me. I'm rolling the dice and saying no more this Spring. I'm going to start planting.
Check your soil temps. Mine are still in the low 60s so you don't want anything to take too long to germinate and rot.

Back