• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

I grow mostly from seed but I do set out tomato, eggplant and at least a couple different varieties of pepper plants every year.
If you grow from seed I would stay away from preem. I tried to preem part of my yard then till in spring and plant bermuda and I still got 0 growth after breakingup the preem layer. There's also studies that suggest that pre-emergent interferes with root growth on young plants

Preemergeant has to be put out early for grass in the SE. I’m thinking February/early March. Dandelions and crabgrass start early!

Weed mat works well for tomatoes transplants but I prefer side dressing compost and fertilizer when the fruit sets. You can't do that with mat. Tilling under weeds and feeding is the way to go with tomatoes.

Any tips on pruning KO roses? I want to cut mine back before they take over
To maintain a size of 3–4' w x 3–4' h, Knock Out® Roses should be cut back once a year to 12” high. Check your rose bush from time to time in late winter/early spring, and when you start to see new shoots growing from the canes on your rose bush, that's a good sign that it's time to prune.
$25

• Haha
Reactions: SD
February is a good rule of thumb to prune 99% of rose bushes!
KO were way over utilized, now a lot are getting rose rosette virus. An incurable fungal disease transmitted by aphids and such

Dig them up
People love a great looking, easy to grow shrub and trees! See (Leyland Cypress, Bradford pair, kO roses, and before most of yalls time, red tip photonia) they are great, until that disease finally gets to them or people realize how horrible of a plant they are! ( Bradford)

People love a great looking, easy to grow shrub and trees! See (Leyland Cypress, Bradford pair, kO roses, and before most of yalls time, red tip photonia) they are great, until that disease finally gets to them or people realize how horrible of a plant they are! ( Bradford)
I'm glad the red tips got zapped they sucked in spring time.

I'm a big fan of green giants now might use them to screen off the yard

I'm glad the red tips got zapped they sucked in spring time
You see a few here and there, but in the 70s/80s, I think every yard had one! Then I think some kind of blight wiped out 95% of all of them

Good choice
Also don’t forget Arizona cypress! Give you a good 20-30 years! Almost fast as Leyland

Good choice
Also don’t forget Arizona cypress! Give you a good 20-30 years! Almost fast as Leyland
I just looked up Arizona cypress. I am going to need a crap load of trees and shrubs for around the pool (not too close though). Privacy hedges etc. Probably gets too big but pretty for somewhere.
I don't understand why different websites put me in different zones. Some say 7 and some 8. This project is going to be overwhelming. Thanks for telling us about the Arizona. Need more ideas instead of the same ol same ol.

Green giants or emerald greens? I have planted both and are so different in size and how they look. I figured out I really have no need for such tall ones like the Green giants. Even for privacy. Love them both and the smell.....???

I have planted about 130 trees and shrubs around the property line. Green giants, Emeralds, Holly, Tea Olive, Cleyera, Maples, Florida Sunshines, Sunshine Ligustrums and another evergreen tree that starts with a C that I can't think of to save my life. It's a nice tree though.
The Emerald greens are so awesome...

I just looked up Arizona cypress. I am going to need a crap load of trees and shrubs for around the pool (not too close though). Privacy hedges etc. Probably gets too big but pretty for somewhere.
I don't understand why different websites put me in different zones. Some say 7 and some 8. This project is going to be overwhelming. Thanks for telling us about the Arizona. Need more ideas instead of the same ol same ol.
If you planted for zone 8, you be fine. I always like to be in the middle of recommended zones on plants, example Deodar Cedar is zone 6-9, which thrives in your zones. I never liked to be in last recommended zone, like Alberta spruce 2-7, if that makes any sense, cause it usually means they don’t tolerate heat well

Green giants or emerald greens? I have planted both and are so different in size and how they look. I figured out I really have no need for such tall ones like the Green giants. Even for privacy. Love them both and the smell.....???

I have planted about 130 trees and shrubs around the property line. Green giants, Emeralds, Holly, Tea Olive, Cleyera, Maples, Florida Sunshines, Sunshine Ligustrums and another evergreen tree that starts with a C that I can't think of to save my life. It's a nice tree though.
The Emerald greens are so awesome...
Sunshine ligustrum is one of my new favorites! Great plant! Love tea olives also! Check out Newlifenursery, they are out of Pelzer SC, online and in person, good supply of unusual plants

THANK YOU! I never thought about not being on the edge of the zones. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the nursery info too, will def check it out.
Isn't Sunshine ligustrum great? I planted some at the other house we build a couple of years ago and my husband delivers there still. He said they were beautiful. The ones I planted here struggled a bit but I think they will perk up when it gets warm this year.
Also, the Florida Sunshine is such a good healthy (almost succulent look) that LIKES SHADE OR PART SHADE. It's kin to the regular Anise shrub but more yellowy. Hard to get shady lovin stuff.
I'm researching now on what kind of palms would be good. I know a few do good in this zone. Would love a couple and try to mix some more tropical feel things around too for the pool, but still have the Thuja and evergreen stuff as well. Sort of hard to figure all of that out. Stuff cost alot too. YIKES.
Sunshine ligustrum is one of my new favorites! Great plant! Love tea olives also! Check out Newlifenursery, they are out of Pelzer SC, online and in person, good supply of unusual plants

I planted 15 after this past Christmas lol where it was so warm. Got a steal 5+ footers for 20 bucks each. I'll check in spring and see if they have anymore that cheap. You are about hour10 mins away from where I got them (Ramseur). Lowes/HD will charge you over 50-60 for one that size.

Look into the "Baby doll" and "Little Gem" mini-magnolia trees. My neighbor went that route for privacy. They require little to no maintenance...ever. plus they smell delicious.

Oh wow. Never heard of those but will look. Sounds wonderful. Thanks!
Look into the "Baby doll" and "Little Gem" mini-magnolia trees. My neighbor went that route for privacy. They require little to no maintenance...ever. plus they smell delicious.

Teddy bear is a good one too! Had it about 10 years only grew about 2-3’ of new growth and about a foot of width, from the time I planted it

Back