• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Def brown patch you can see the lesions on some of the green leaves. Since you have a relatively small area I would hit it with liquid bayer advanced fungus control that'll stop the spread quickly on the existing grass and help start the healing (it may yellow it out some but it's ok, it also stinks). In about 15-21 days apply scotts diseases ex granules. You should have pretty significant healing and recovery in about 30 days
I sprayed this with your suggestion this afternoon...will let you know the results

Sounds like a good idea. I think I’ve read clover loves poor soil! So I wouldn’t do anything elaborate, like top dressing or starter fertilizer. I’ll be interested to hear about the results
From what I understand Dutch White Clover was included in all popular grass seed pre WW2. Monoculture residential lawns are a more modern invention. The clover is definitely better for the bee population!

How about it @SD This confirm your thoughts from the other day? Has to be fungus right.Screenshot_20220716-194845_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has any of the grass where you see this actually died or is it just this ugly stuff on the blades?

It's either powdery mildew or slime mold
Grass Never dies. After a few days it goes from that brighter blueish gray and fades away to dull gray and then.goes away. This was a fresh spot that popped up in the last day or so

Question, I happened to spot this renegade tree at about 3000' in the Cohutta Mountains in northwest Georgia. It was in a protected ravine surrounded by rhododendrons. I'm thinking its a Fraser Fir, but I couldn't get close enough to really get a better look. Any thoughts?

1658784064976.jpeg

Question, I happened to spot this renegade tree at about 3000' in the Cohutta Mountains in northwest Georgia. It was in a protected ravine surrounded by rhododendrons. I'm thinking its a Fraser Fir, but I couldn't get close enough to really get a better look. Any thoughts?

View attachment 120151
Maybe hemlock ?

Looks like a Hemlock as the branches look flat vs rounded. It's hard picture to tell, but also the Elevation and location. Elevation is too low / and the location too far south for Frasier Fir.
Rare find if it’s hemlock still. The southeastern population is all but extinct due to the woody adelgid.

Rare find if it’s hemlock still. The southeastern population is all but extinct due to the woody adelgid.
Maybe it is, but I've seen and own hemlocks, and their branches are usually more droopy, and their foliage is usually darker. You're absolutely right about it being to low for a fir. There are still a ton of hemlocks in this area, I mean a ton. They all look they are putting out new growth too, yet still rough looking.

View attachment 120151
A group of people planted some fraser firs in the cohuttas years ago on Bald Mtn. A few have spread over the years.

A group of people planted some fraser firs in the cohuttas years ago on Bald Mtn. A few have spread over the years.

See I knew someone here would have an explanation. Hemlocks are my favorite tree and can usually spot one a mile away, this caught me off guard, and I literally stopped to do a double take. I just doublechecked, I was indeed on Bald Mountain when I took this photo.

See I knew someone here would have an explanation. Hemlocks are my favorite tree and can usually spot one a mile away, this caught me off guard, and I literally stopped to do a double take. I just doublechecked, I was indeed on Bald Mountain when I took this photo.
I noticed them years ago and had to ask around because I knew they weren’t native. Some old local told me. I always take a few twigs and use them as air freshener in my truck when I go up there to pick ramps.

Back