• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Almost looks like Deodor cedar, sort of?

Last edited:
I noticed them years ago and had to ask around because I knew they weren’t native. Some old local told me. I always take a few twigs and use them as air freshener in my truck when I go up there to pick ramps.
Impressive they are alive and doing well. That part of Georgia even at that elevation is going to have rather warm summers with highs in the lower 80s.

Impressive they are alive and doing well. That part of Georgia even at that elevation is going to have rather warm summers with highs in the lower 80s.
It’s stretching it but most of them are over 4000 feet there so they probably get the required cold hours.

I think its kind of like the white pines that grow like weeds around the lake I go to at 1074' of elevation on the north facing slopes. Actually, the lowest elevation I've seen white pines in Georgia is 700' where state route 136 winds down from 1200' to 700' heading toward Chatsworth, the north facing slope is steep enough to prevent to much direct sunlight. Its all about soil moisture and temperature. Where I found that fir was deep in a ravine that doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, plus the soil is kept cooler due to the creek.

Another example of this is on the northside of Carters Lake, again around 1100', where you have rhododendrons growing because of the steep grade thwarting direct sun, and the air cooled by the cold water.

1659883758060.png

It’s stretching it but most of them are over 4000 feet there so they probably get the required cold hours.

I'm not aware of what their cold requirements are, but here is a station at only 3250'at the top of the Atlanta metro in January and July. I'd probably shave off a few more degrees at 3500-4000', and slightly northwest.

1659884104104.png

1659884136020.png

Need y’all’s help. I can’t figure out what is wrong with my knock out roses. This time of year they’re normally in explosive Red buds. I can take more photos if needed. I know @Tarheel1 has a pretty green thumb. Thanks in advance.

1663353785506.png
1663353869292.png

Yeah, they are usually putting on a fall flush now. I’m not sure what is going on with them. It looks like disease. Has it been super wet?? Or are they getting more shade than they used to?? They are fairly trouble-free, except for rose rosette disease, and it doesn’t look like that’s the problem.
Maybe take some close up of the worst leaves!
Have you sprayed round up or any thing nearby?? Could have drifted onto the leaves if you were spraying relatively close?

There’s some fungus or disease on a few of the leves( the brown circles) on the green leaves. Almost looks like anthracnose.

There’s some fungus or disease on a few of the leves( the brown circles) on the green leaves. Almost looks like anthracnose.

I appreciate your reply. No overspray and normal precip. Are some leaves supposed to be maroon in color? Wonder if I leave it alone and hope for the best.?..

1663367098861.jpg
1663367168723.jpg

Need y’all’s help. I can’t figure out what is wrong with my knock out roses. This time of year they’re normally in explosive Red buds. I can take more photos if needed. I know @Tarheel1 has a pretty green thumb. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 121514
View attachment 121515
Rip.

Seriously though I don't think it's rosette disease so that's good and it may be black spot which isn't super harmful. I'm big on hitting plants with a fungus killer after my battle last year with it in my yard but it's up to you. I just hate having struggling plants in the fall it makes them susceptible to winter injury and new diseases in spring

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply. No overspray and normal precip. Are some leaves supposed to be maroon in color? Wonder if I leave it alone and hope for the best.?..

View attachment 121523
View attachment 121524
A symptom of Rose Rosette disease is a flush of burgundy new growth, it’s especially fleshy, so it may be the beginning stages of the disease. Roses are such a pain and so much work to keep looking good. There’s a newer variety I’ve read about under the name OSO Easy, maybe look at them? In my 15 years at the house I only planted one rose bush and it was because it was givin to me as a present. And it was a sunshine yellow or something like that, never sprayed or did anything other than prune and it gave me 20-40 flowers a season! Just don’t like hard work in the garden!??

New growth on rose plants are deep maroon in color, your plants are struggling and I agree with the above it's fungal, likely anthracnose. I would look at near by trees to find a source, based on your images they go hit hard by spores, and a broad spectrum anti-fungal like Daconil is probably too late this season (it won't hurt), but certainly needed next season and also against the source (probably a shade tree in the vicinity, sycamores are common spreaders around here). You can dig up a small portion of the root, just to make sure it is healthy and not a more systemic issue. Here in NC, we have the local extension offices, they are my go to for tougher issues and always eager to help.based

Also, I would trim it, based on best practice, after the first freeze. You can be somewhat liberal with the pruning, roses are resilient and like an annual cutting.

Rose rosette ‘ red’ flush , as a sign of the diseased plant5C19F5E7-A6C3-4948-82A8-EB03599F22A9.png

Anyone here into trees? My coast redwood is doing great. Its probably grown more than a meter this year. its about 2.5 m tall now after just its second year in my yard. I got it from a TN nursery in fall 2020. I don't know how old it was then, but it was only about 0.5 m tall at that time.

Anyone here into trees? My coast redwood is doing great. Its probably grown more than a meter this year. its about 2.5 m tall now after just its second year in my yard. I got it from a TN nursery in fall 2020. I don't know how old it was then, but it was only about 0.5 m tall at that time.

Just to confirm, you are growing a true redwood in AL?

My uncle tried to grow one awhile back but it didn’t take well.

Just curious, why the metric?

It’s a novelty tree, I know a ---- ton about trees, with an affinity for native old growth temperate rain forests, hard to describe once in it. While I cannot speak for AL, white and swamp chestnut oaks are my go to, along with bald cypress, potent native combos.

590AB445-807B-4EBA-8E10-F8D29660FCAB.jpeg

33CE3785-8D6F-4DC9-8F53-0091914BC7AA.jpeg

178E272A-3F68-4CDB-ABAA-DB99EB3421E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, redwoods don’t like the high heat and oppressive humidity. They like the cool, misty mountains of the West and NW us. Bald Cupress as NC stated, are great trees and can get huge and have the cool ‘ knees’ and there are different cultivars, like a weeping type and I’m sure some other variants, trees are cool!
Deodar cedar, is another great tree, with some awesome cultivars, to give you that look!

Yeah, redwoods don’t like the high heat and oppressive humidity. They like the cool, misty mountains of the West and NW us. Bald Cupress as NC stated, are great trees and can get huge and have the cool ‘ knees’ and there are different cultivars, like a weeping type and I’m sure some other variants, trees are cool!
Deodar cedar, is another great tree, with some awesome cultivars, to give you that look!
I considered a deodar cedar. May get one eventually, but I'm kind of out of space at my current house. i have a 10 year old blue spruce and a young norway spruce as well.

Back