• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Funny our local mets raised the temp for this storm from 45 to 48. I knew Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill was never in the game anyways, but still comical.

No doubt there's some seriously cold air over the CAD source region in Quebec & Ontario, widespread -20s on the DWD-ICON Wed am over top fresh snow cover.

View attachment 57243

View attachment 57244
Looks like the northeast may see some snow from the first system as well (per other models) on the first system that moves through, I wonder if it’s non-negligible and actually has a effect if system one lays down more snow in the NE/upper Mid Atlantic (at least more then what the icon shows)

Cold source is pushing further south, trending stronger. If you live from GSP to CLT I think this is going to be a damaging ice storm. I40 corridor is looking like a sleet fest.

Funny our local mets raised the temp for this storm from 45 to 48. I knew Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill was never in the game anyways, but still comical.
I don't listen to local / TV mets. They have to play to the general audience, which means they're usually very conservative (which I understand why). They will start to catch up as the storm gets closer (and if it continues to show a wintery look). But, honestly you need to get your information from the NWS discussions and surprisingly from this site. There is a lot of really smart people here.

RAH NWS discussion: National Weather Service Text Product Display

Looks like the northeast may see some snow from the first system as well (per other models) on the first system that moves through, I wonder if it’s non-negligible and actually has a effect if system one lays down more snow in the NE/upper Mid Atlantic (at least more then what the icon shows)

I was thinking about this too earlier. It looks like for this setup the GFS (for instance) shows a lot of rain for non-mountain areas, but it seems to mostly be a struggle with surface temps. That could be overcome if precip is undermodeled, and maybe we could lay down some snow cover in PA or even down to MD. At a glance, NAM shows more widespread snow.
1607787909928.png

Cold source is pushing further south, trending stronger. If you live from GSP to CLT I think this is going to be a damaging ice storm. I40 corridor is looking like a sleet fest.
Maybe we can say it’s trending that way... but without good model support for a situation like that I don’t think we can say for sure something like this is to happen. Do I believe we are trending this way just with all the things we know about biases and such? Yes. But nothings really been reflected too much in modeling and the euro 06z ensembles were .. eh if ur thinking major ice storm for Raleigh-Fayetteville on south west .... we really need this puppy in NAM range so we can really pull her apart and look under the hood a bit better

Back