• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was a repeat of January 2019, although totals are questionable. I think that dew points would have to be in the teens/low 20s if there was going to be a big one.
View attachment 57394
Yeah I agree, there’s still time to trend either way but Temps in the mid to low 30s over dews in the low 20s/upper teens is ideal for a ice storm

I wanna bet this run will be a tad warmer because we’re losing those slightly higher heights in Canada/near the GLs

1037 sitting pretty in a better position than 18Z. Nice front end thump of snow even down into Nc this run.
Yep, and the system is getting less amped as well.... Which means less WAA
That trend to a weaker system is beginning to reflect 7840F8FB-0653-40D2-BC0F-995A1D90BD01.gif

1607831208306.png
1607831769067.png.

This is my thinking right now. The blue is where I see more snow then a transition over to sleet. The Pink area would be more Sleet with a slow transition over to Freezing Rain. The purple area would be Freezing Rain. No accumulations but if we were to see frozen precip as of today, this is what I see is looking like. Below that is just the percentage of where I think we are as of right now to see ICE.

Yep, and the system is getting less amped as well.... Which means less WAA
That trend to a weaker system is beginning to reflect View attachment 57400
That’s a good catch. Look in the mtns, actually goes back to snow around 18Z Wednesday. Probably for the very reason you’re mentioning.

View attachment 57396
View attachment 57399.

This is my thinking right now. The blue is where I see more snow then a transition over to sleet. The Pink area would be more Sleet with a slow transition over to Freezing Rain. The purple area would be Freezing Rain. No accumulations but if we were to see frozen precip as of today, this is what I see is looking like. Below that is just the percentage of where I think we are as of right now to see ICE.
That’s the 1st map I’ve seen someone put it that far south into Georgia

Dews right before the precip, a bit lower than last run, while those upper 20s are still sorta meh, you gotta remember this is a classical CAD, and Low level CAA from The CAD is still happening during the system, really helps to when you system is trending less amped
262DD7BD-D03C-4AE5-8C24-EE964554D757.png

View attachment 57396
View attachment 57399.

If I were you, I would move the line out of RDU and CLT, and put the cutoff just over Alamance or GSO. I find that even if CAD gets stronger, it goes further south rather than east. Again, I’ve been burned in setups like this, the cutoff is always further west than modeled, albeit, further south.

Back