• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

18z CMC reminds of micro-climate scenarios here..being pockets of the foothills will stay snowy an hour or two longer while Boone and all the mountain counties go to ice. I have seen this before in cad ice storms. It’s never a big snow but it’s awesome to report a white snowy ground at 1,000ft with everyone above 2,000ft getting ice instead.
I've experienced that first hand on the BR parkway at grandfather snowing there with ice sleet in newland crossnore and at about the same elevation. The cold air from the cad gets pressed up against the escarpment and is the last to erode. Very cool to experience.

NAM is a great model! It’s depiction of today’s event here, was spot on! The totals were inflated, but look and precip lines, were spot on
It is a great model but apple to oranges your event was today and ours is still 4 days away. Plus we deal w/ cad you don’t. Not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s likely far from the truth (could go much snowier or cold rain).

A jump in what? What is it showing?
HP is stronger but the cold is pressing much further south and the barbs are much tighter which shows a much harder to erode CAD. NAM in this range has actually been too high on temperatures generally so for us to already be around 30-31 degrees is a scary sign for ICE.

HP is stronger but the cold is pressing much further south and the barbs are much tighter which shows a much harder to erode CAD. NAM in this range has actually been too high on temperatures generally so for us to already be around 30-31 degrees is a scary sign for ICE.

Exactly, not only that the ULL is a tad bit slower over Texas. If it starts moving toward Houston we may receive more precipitation. Greenville-Spartanburg to Charlotte needs to start paying attention for major ZR possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a great model but apple to oranges your event was today and ours is still 4 days away. Plus we deal w/ cad you don’t. Not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s likely far from the truth (could go much snowier or cold rain).
I started using it at 4 days out. It nailed it, while GFS and Euro waffled positions of the low and track

Back