• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

We can't be sure, because if we can get into later Feb-Early March, we can still get an enough cold air of sorts that can work in our favor. While historically Mid Feb is best, we have had many events in early March also.

Things are wonky with modeling, and lets be honest here. CAE usually gets nailed with temperatures in the 60's and 70's leading up to and after the event. Rarely, do we get nailed in a true arctic outbreak. MJO is throwing a big wrench into the forecasts, but I do think we are not going to see some crazy Arctic outbreak before late Feb, it at all in our neck of the woods, which is not exactly a bad thing.
I like your positive thinking!

I mean, what can go wrong? If someone calls it off (like many have done outside this forum with more viewership on Twitter etc), the only thing that can happen is it works out better for cold or snow fans.

I think there may be a disconnection between no more snow and a torch/heat. We can all certainly score with the right storm in a overall warmer scenario. Historically, I am sure Macon has done well when it was just 74F two days before and I bet 74F or warmer after it was over. I wish I could pull data like Larry can for areas like Macon, Augusta, Orangeburg to see just how many snow events have happened in March, even, with upper 70's around before and after.

I still do not like the storm tracks for our back yards though. I have just been using the GFS based on that, and not paying much attention to the Euro in this situation. I would assume the GFS still handles the Northern Stream better. I am not sure which model is best with the Southern stream when all is said and done, though.
Yeah I remember in mid Feb. '79. Was working at my dads gas station that Friday afternoon and the new forecast came out at 4:30 that afternoon. We were in short sleeve shirts and they said WSW for Sat. and Sun. for heavy snow. It began falling just before dark on Sat. and it was 15 degrees all day long on Sun. with heavy snow eventually to heavy snow/sleet. On Mon. it was in the 60s again and was melting like crazy.

GEFS still in phase 7 by the 18th and EPS almost in phase 1. Will be interesting to see who wins, or if it’s a blend.

68ED3EE7-7B4B-4434-8470-F8EF9C5FD122.gif D0B5F91C-87E4-408C-AFFA-2571F15FA7AF.gif

Gfs has a system rolling through here about every three days. Don't need it , don't want it. Its wet enough. It needs to dry out some

GEFS still in phase 7 by the 18th and EPS almost in phase 1. Will be interesting to see who wins, or if it’s a blend.

View attachment 3776 View attachment 3775
It's funny seeing the eps carry it through phase 8 into phase 1 even at a low amplitude and seeing the gefs kill it in phase 7. It's like they flipped.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Yeah it's the GFS but it doesn't look like it responded to phase 8 at all or the idea that after the MJO passes through 4-5-6 there's a trough two weeks later in the east. I'll give it some more time though.
We’re not going to see a response to a forecasted phase 8 in the modeling yet. We’ll need the pulse to move closer to phase 8 for that to happen, it’s spending a long time (11+ days) in 7, after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny seeing the eps carry it through phase 8 into phase 1 even at a low amplitude and seeing the gefs kill it in phase 7. It's like they flipped.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

I'll admit not been best looks but I not throwing in the towel. Want to try and make 5 day forecast? Models are really struggling...
13DBDA15-E61B-441A-A924-290CA3629DF0.jpeg
.... Carry on

We’re not going to see a response to a forecasted phase 8 in the modeling yet. We’ll need the pulse to move closer to phase 8 for that to happen, it’s spending a long time (11+ days) in 7, after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it should be getting close to 8 at this point. At some point soon we need to get into phase 8. Almost all signs point to it getting there, isn't it getting pretty close to it at this point?

Well it should be getting close to 8 at this point. At some point soon we need to get into phase 8. Almost all signs point to it getting there, isn't it getting pretty close to it at this point?

Like I said in my post, best case is it’s 11 days away, of course that can change but my answer is no, it’s isn’t close.

Like I said in my post, best case is it’s 11 days away, of course that can change but my answer is no, it’s isn’t close.
But you would think the models will pick up on it before we actually get into 8. I don't know all about the MJO, I know it isn't the only factor in our weather here in the mid south. Just going by what I pick up on here it seems like the MJO is so hard to forecast or keep up with. No matter what the models are truly inconsistent these days, so what it is showing 10 days down the road bank on the opposite.

The MJO ended up having a whopping 3.83 peak in phase 7, which was on 2/1. (It actually peaked at 3.90 in phase 6.) When I was first following this closely, the EPS had a phase 7 peak prediction of 2.5 vs the GEFS' 4.2. MDA mets and I predicted EPS would verify more closely on the idea that it usually does better than GEFS and that GEFS so often overamps. Webber, however, predicted GEFS would do better based on initializations in Maritime Continent actually favoring GEFS, which I hadn't at the time realized. Webber and GEFS clearly killed it. Congrats! This was a learning process for myself and hopefully also MDA. Consider the current MJO phase before predicting which of EPS and GEFS will do better. Don't just automatically go with EPS just based on the idea that it generally has done better than GEFS.

Honestly, im ready for spring/summer. If we do get another winterstorm then thats great, but for MBY im very satisfied that i had my 2 snows. Ready for hurricane season and severe weather to track.

be glad help anyway i can

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

Honestly, im ready for spring/summer. If we do get another winterstorm then thats great, but for MBY im very satisfied that i had my 2 snows. Ready for hurricane season and severe weather to track.
I'm not. I hope we have a non-existent severe season. Haven't had major lines that do major damage in a long time and I'd like to keep it that way for some time. As far as hurricane season, how about you help write the wiki articles and keep them up to date, especially when we have multiple storms at once. Trying to track all of them and update them last year was a pain and still isn't complete. :confused:

I'm not. I hope we have a non-existent severe season. Haven't had major lines that do major damage in a long time and I'd like to keep it that way for some time. As far as hurricane season, how about you help write the wiki articles and keep them up to date, especially when we have multiple storms at once. Trying to track all of them and update them last year was a pain and still isn't complete. :confused:
1000 Likes, FS!

Back