• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

I am trying to add to the discussion, but I honestly don't see anything that cold or interesting. I keep hearing delayed but not denied, but I just don't want it to be wasted

The blunt truth is you have added nothing to the discussion. You have not interpreted a model run or teleconnection. All you have posted is about is griping about how you are not getting snow.

I'm torn. While I would definitely love to see a huge board wide thumping. There's definitely a small part if me that is saying this winter has been great so far. That same part of me hasn't forgotten how amazing those 60's felt the other day. So yeah I guess you could say a small part of me is rooting for a little Southeast Ridge.

The blunt truth is you have added nothing to the discussion. You have not interpreted a model run or teleconnection. All you have posted is about is griping about how you are not getting snow.
Aren't we looking for cold and possibly more snow?

I am trying to add to the discussion, but I honestly don't see anything that cold or interesting. I keep hearing delayed but not denied, but I just don't want it to be wasted. I mean what happens if you spent all this time discussing freezing February, and it's really not even looking like it'll be freezing or get close to it if we are lucky based on current trends. It's really hard to just ignore the model guidance when they keep screaming ridge, and the GFS has a big cold bias.
Did you read the posts on previous page? Models do not handle PV changes very well and we should not be focused on them so intently right now. Give them another 5-7 days and then see.

Did you read the posts on previous page? Models do not handle PV changes very well and we should not be focused on them so intently right now. Give them another 5-7 days and then see.
No offense, but what if they actually turn out to be right with no cold?

Based on my interpretation of models the past few days. Everything seems to be trending towards a ridge. The cold shot better be BIG if we want any chance of a big dog storm with no rain. That's what I'm trying to say, especially added on with the MJO analysis , weak positive pna, weak positive -AO, etc.

I am trying to add to the discussion, but I honestly don't see anything that cold or interesting. I keep hearing delayed but not denied, but I just don't want it to be wasted. I mean what happens if you spent all this time discussing freezing February, and it's really not even looking like it'll be freezing or get close to it if we are lucky based on current trends. It's really hard to just ignore the model guidance when they keep screaming ridge, and the GFS has a big cold bias.
I think you're trying too hard to worry. There are no indications of a locked in mega SE ridge pattern from a modeling or teleconnection standpoint. In fact, most teleconnections point to at least a 2 week period developing which will see below normal temps. That gives us a better than average chance to score a storm. If we're looking for a solid 2 week period where the temps never get above freezing, I think we'll be disappointed about that, yes. Even if we stipulate that there will be no locked in super cold patterns for the rest of the year, there are exactly ZERO indications of the opposite of that happening. Back and forth can still easily yield a snowstorm. There's not really any reason to worry at this point.

No offense, but what if they actually turn out to be right with no cold?
Then we move on to spring. Weather happens and nothing said on this board will change what weather is going to do. So maybe it is time to refocus on what's important in our lives and be prepared to move forward regardless of WX outcome.

Based on my interpretation of models the past few days. Everything seems to be trending towards a ridge. The cold shot better be BIG if we want any chance of a big dog storm with no rain. That's what I'm trying to say, especially added on with the MJO analysis , weak positive pna, weak positive -AO, etc.
IDK. The 12Z GFS at H5 looks like plenty of potential going into mid February. Phil just posted the teleconnections and the AO is looking to go negative around Feb 1, and PNA positive (coupled with -EPO). Give the pattern change time to set in and guidance to catch up, which looks to be after the possible OH Valley snowstorm Feb 2-4 time frame. I don't see anything concerning right now.

IDK. The 12Z GFS at H5 looks like plenty of potential going into mid February. Phil just posted the teleconnections and the AO is looking to go negative around Feb 1, and PNA positive (coupled with -EPO). Give the pattern change time to set in and guidance to catch up, which looks to be after the possible OH Valley snowstorm Feb 2-4 time frame. I don't see anything concerning right now.
Yeah, nothing but a continuous string of run of the mill 1040-1055 highs as far as the eye can see, dropping out of Canada and rolling across the northern tier, from about 200 hr on. Yawn yawn.

If we don't look intently at the models, how can we discuss the freezing pattern? I'm not a meteorologist and most on here may not be, so looking at H5, planetary waves, etc. Dont really help a lot because we don't know what they mean or imply unless u are a meteorologist. So I have the operationals and ensembles to go on basically.

If we don't look intently at the models, how can we discuss the freezing pattern? I'm not a meteorologist and most on here may not be, so looking at H5, planetary waves, etc. Dont really help a lot because we don't know what they mean or imply unless u are a meteorologist. So I have the operationals and ensembles to go on basically.
Take it to banter

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

It's winter. It gets cold in winter. Every winter. The warmest one I can remember had a low of 17 one night. Some of us like cold weather...a whole lot, and hate warm/hot weather, a whole lot, lol. and we feel cold air is never wasted. It's a blessing to be treasured, even it it's dry as the Atacama. Best thing to do is wait and see, and quit looking at models as some infallible source of weather wisdom. They just guess like the rest of us, based on what they see, even though they have ocean sensors and weather balloons to help.

Which model are you looking at that is making you worry? And what time period and panel are you looking at? Post it, if you can, and we can discuss it.

For what it's worth, I for one am happy for the opposite point of view or to hear about why it might be warm. But I guess if we're going to have a legit discussion about the pattern, we need to define what is making us believe a certain pattern is going to emerge/not emerge and then back that up with something other than feelings.

Only because you are obviously ignoring anything to the contrary. There has been tons of posts that had information that did not say that. Sounds like trolling.

Touching further on what Phil posted, let's focus on day 14+:

1. PNA: mean looks strongly positive with excellent agreement among the members of the GEFS on day 14 (2/9) with no sign of falling and the model doesn't have a significant bias. So, based on this, I feel pretty confident we'll have a solidly +PNA 2/9 and likely going forward into mid month:
PNAFcasrGEFS012618.gif

2. AO: mean looks strongly negative as of 2/9 (day 14) (sub -2) with most members below -2 and several below -4! So, despite a -0.75 day 14 bias, this still suggests a good chance at a solid -AO (say -2 or lower) day 14 and likely well into mid month.:

aoFcasrGEFS012618.gif

3. Last but no least, the MJO, which today's Euro monthly (EMON) has going only to ~2.5 for its max in phase 7. More importantly, it then gets much weaker in phase 7. It goes into phase 8 as weak (just outside the circle) and then almost stalls out/moves very slowly. That definitely is a cold signal for mid Feb. and it could be lengthy based on the very slow MJO move then:

MJOFcasrEPS012618.gif
Conclusion: Despite the NAO likely remaining positive (what's new?), the prospects for the triple combo of a solid +PNA, a solid -AO, and a weak AND VERY slow moving MJO 7-8 and maybe 1 afterward bodes very well for the chance at a very cold and lengthy SE US mid Feb and beyond.

Last edited:
There's not really any reason to worry at this point.

Weather happens and nothing said on this board will change what weather is going to do.

I don't see anything concerning right now.

Yeah, nothing but a continuous string of run of the mill 1040-1055 highs as far as the eye can see, dropping out of Canada and rolling across the northern tier, from about 200 hr on. Yawn yawn.

Some of the best and frankly most insightful quips I've read in a while ... :cool:

1. PNA: mean looks strongly positive with excellent agreement among the members of the GEFS on day 14 (2/9) with no sign of falling and the model doesn't have a significant bias. So, based on this, I feel pretty confident we'll have a solidly +PNA 2/9 and likely going forward into mid month:
View attachment 3472

2. AO: mean looks strongly negative as of 2/9 (day 14) (sub -2) with most members below -2 and several below -4! So, despite a -0.60 day 14 bias, this still suggests a good chance at a solid -AO (say -2 or lower) day 14 and likely well into mid month.:

View attachment 3471

3. Last but no least, the MJO, which today's Euro monthly (EMON) has going only to ~2.5 for its max in phase 7. More importantly, it then gets much weaker in phase 7. It goes into phase 8 as weak (just outside the circle) and then almost stalls out/moves very slowly. That definitely is a cold signal for mid Feb. and it could be lengthy based on the very slow MJO move then:

View attachment 3473
Conclusion: Despite the NAO likely remaining positive (what's new?), the prospects for the triple combo of a solid +PNA, a solid -AO, and a weak MJO 7-8 and maybe 1 afterward bodes very well for the chance at a very cold SE US mid Feb and beyond.
Great post, Larry!
Might I humbly add, that in the forthcoming expected configuration, the NAO is the very least of concerns ... ;)
Best!
Phil

View attachment 3472

2. AO: mean looks strongly negative as of 2/9 (day 14) (sub -2) with most members below -2 and several below -4! So, despite a -0.60 day 14 bias, this still suggests a good chance at a solid -AO (say -2 or lower) day 14 and likely well into mid month.:

View attachment 3471

View attachment 3473
Conclusion: Despite the NAO likely remaining positive (what's new?), the prospects for the triple combo of a solid +PNA, a solid -AO, and a weak MJO 7-8 and maybe 1 afterward bodes very well for the chance at a very cold SE US mid Feb and beyond.
Sounds great! I'm fine with our time of not watching a storm, but I also want a great February, and it looks like we are headed to one. As you posted, the PNA has a high chance of going positive well enough to have an impact. This should also help set up storm chances especially if we get a good blast of cold too.

Back