• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Charlotte received nearly 5" of snow on March 2, 1978. There were several small snow events during the last ten days of February 1978.

2/1978, which is included in my analysis, was the coldest of the 9 very strong phase 7 MJO events. So, it was a bit of an exception as it was the only one of the 9 very strong phase 7 events that was cold in the SE.

Maybe everything comes together where we can counteract the warm effects of the MJO besides the subtropical jet being activated. Maybe that's what that wxsouth dude is seeing that the warm effects of the MJO are gonna be counteracted by everything else seeming to try and come together. Is this a possibility?

Anything is possible, especially with a solid +PNA and hopefully a -AO. What I get from the new research is that just having a very strong MJO in phase 7 (or phase 8-1 for that matter) doesn't itself mean we should expect cold unless there are other factors that are bullish enough. Then reassess.

Last edited:
Anything is possible, especially with a solid +PNA and hopefully a -AO. What I get from the new research is that just having a very strong MJO in phase 7 (or phase 8-1 for that matter) doesn't itself mean we should expect cold unless there are other factors that are bullish enough. Then reassess.
Do you know like what the PNA and the AO were in those years we had the MJO at the caliber strength that reflects what we could be looking at coming? I'd say I would look but idk where to look or anything

Gfs continues it's trend to a possible light midsouth event Thursday night
maybe more than that
27399690_2001834689844179_1556881971_n.png

Basically its GFS -vs- EURO / CMC per the reality check. Someone is going to get their heart broken. Lol let it snow let it snow!. * Potential * lets reel this one in!

Gfs continues it's trend to a possible light midsouth event Thursday night

Lol a light mid south event. The gfs continues to say Tennessee peeps may need a snow blower to get out of thier driveway next weekend. It’s still way to far out to get excited but the gfs is definitely not letting go of this big snow idea for Tennessee. Euro had it yesterday or day before but hasn’t shown anything like the gfs has for Tennessee except for one run. If the euro starts showing something again like the gfs is it’ll start to get my attention a little more.

Incredible. Just two days ago, we were talking about the pattern change to cold, and now that is completely out the window it seems. Even if it's delayed, who knows if it'll be good enough for a big dog. Confidence way down at this point fellas.

To me on the EPS it looks as if the warmth kinda pulled in and dosent expand as far throughout the south as it did last night. Gotta keep confidence the cold will come

Back