Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Reread what I said bro, snowpack ! I’m wondering what the coldest temps can get without a snowpack are . I’m a climo data machine ik when we hit single digits trust me lol. Perhaps @SD knows .

Any examples of it being in the single digits with 0 snow on the ground ? 2015,2014,2018,2000, 1985 etc all had snow on the ground if I’m not mistaken with the record lows .
Yes the two times I pointed out there was no snow cover in the western Piedmont...both times CLT had lows in the 4-8 degree range without any snow cover. A few other times that come to mind right off for CLT metro are Dec. 1989 and January 1994

Reactions: LickWx
Looks like quite a contrast to recent La Niña Februaries.
View attachment 69608

These are the La Ninas since 1895 that had -NAO in February against an older, colder, and more relevant base period (for that time) 1895-2000:

It's extremely hit or miss wrt snow here, you have some truly legendary Februarys like 1895 & 1899, some solid ones like Feb 1968, 1965, 1963, and then quite a few duds. Even still, give me this pattern every day of the week and I'll take my chances.

1612142685662.png

These are the La Ninas since 1895 that had -NAO in February against an older, colder, and more relevant base period (for that time) 1895-2000:

It's extremely hit or miss wrt snow here, you have some truly legendary Februarys like 1895 & 1899, some solid ones like Feb 1968, 1965, 1963, and then quite a few duds. Even still, give me this pattern every day of the week and I'll take my chances.

View attachment 69694
1899 , I don’t even know if it’s possible for something like that again . Ice chunks flowing into the miss by New Orleans , -2 in Tallahassee , Raleigh had a high of 10 which is the coldest ever . It’s so anomalous that the next coldest high for Raleigh is 16... a 6 degree difference . The -2 recorded in Raleigh that February was the record low until we hit -9 in January 1985.

1899 , I don’t even know if it’s possible for something like that again . Ice chunks flowing into the miss by New Orleans , -2 in Tallahassee , Raleigh had a high of 10 which is the coldest ever . It’s so anomalous that the next coldest high for Raleigh is 16... a 6 degree difference . The -2 recorded in Raleigh that February was the record low until we hit -9 in January 1985.

Yeah the Jan 1985 cold wave came right at the end of the month & was also ironically after a SSWE like this year. I wouldn't expect an air mass like Feb 1899's but we can get stupid cold in patterns like this as long as we get at least temporary bouts of -EPO/WPO. One of those bouts of -EPO/-WPO is coming the next few days and will help setup this massive cold shot next week that's showing up on the models.

Idk it looks pretty stout , I’d bet on 15 degrees , anything under that will take a stronger push or a snowpack. Single digits will 100% require a snowpack. Honestly I have to wonder what the absolute coldest we can get without a snowpack is. Cant be much colder than 15. All our record lows happen with a snowpack .
Nope. Our record here is -8F (1985) and that was without any snowcover.