• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

Idk it looks pretty stout , I’d bet on 15 degrees , anything under that will take a stronger push or a snowpack. Single digits will 100% require a snowpack. Honestly I have to wonder what the absolute coldest we can get without a snowpack is. Cant be much colder than 15. All our record lows happen with a snowpack .
I don’t think RDU’s all time record low of -9 came with any snow on the ground, though I may be mistaken.

Then again, things were different back in the 80s and setups from the 80s just don’t work like they use to, etc etc etc. ?

C9CFCED3-3E55-45D2-85A8-898AD996BB48.gif

Single digits are absolutely possible to reach in the NC Piedmont without snowcover. It certainly makes it easier, but it can and has happened.

For example, I can’t imagine GSO’s trace of snow a few days earlier was doing much good with this 2018 cold blast. Even RDU’s ~1” probably wasn’t left much, if at all, by then. The colder subzero temperatures in the northern coastal plan and SW of Raleigh were snowcover-aided, though. Nevertheless, we even see subzero temperatures north of the Triad with no snowcover.

27E35521-C6A3-420E-819C-870781BC7527.png
35D49FD2-4AD0-4D93-A477-AE3BE550A99B.png

Last edited:
I don’t think RDU’s all time record low of -9 came with any snow on the ground, though I may be mistaken.

Then again, things were different back in the 80s and setups from the 80s just don’t work like they use to, etc etc etc. ?

View attachment 69727
The 80s werent as stellar as yall think. Few events, but just as long priods of meh as we have today. I still say for NC 2000-2010 was better

Back