• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Flaming Feb 2021

One of the ways you get really big snows in Charlotte & the rest of the SW piedmont historically, have a very cold, deep CAD in place like that to delay the inevitable changeover to sleet &/or ZR until you've already piled up several (or more) inches of snow. Dec 1930 & Feb 12-13 2014 are great examples

I don’t know about that. Obviously I’m in the CLT area so sometimes what works for us doesn’t work for Raleigh, but we’ve experienced some good storms in the last 20 years... January 2003, February 2004, March 2009, January 2011, February 2014, January 2018. I didn’t even include the storms that gave very little to the southeast part of CLT area but put much bigger amounts 15-20 miles to the north and west.

Usually what doesn't work for Charlotte & works for Raleigh is Miller A cyclones.

If you build it, they will come.

View attachment 69490

Yes Master Yoda. Yes
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the big difference vs previous years, you get this look, ridge going up in AK/on top of AK, Arctic air gets dumped in the central USE829A9EB-2503-4DC7-B0AD-8BAC95A22A82.pngThe difference here is that the last 7 million years, we had a +NAO, those big troughs would go poleward and reinforce +NAO, and flex the SER, this go around there’s a huge -NAO, it can’t go poleward easily so it’s forced to slide under the block, I’m not sayin this will last significantly longer, but imo a trough of that size with that much blocking, I could see it slowing down, but this -NAO has been a huge help this year, previous years the NAM is unfavorable with a Garbo strat PV state and we get a mostly +NAO/AO, this year it’s the complete opposite and given the weakened PV, blocking has been significant, we trash this SPV warming event but it’s doing one thing it’s suppose to do, blocking.59C4BEA6-3939-44B1-A5FB-0F23B374C8AE.png

Back