• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
th_1.jpg

Time to bring out the sun tanning lotion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow, the storm is showing up during that time period. I'm not looking at temps at this point. Just looking for that storm signal and the 18z GFS has it. Looking at temp maps in the long range isn't a good idea. It's not accurate from the GFS.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Just don't understand the idea of a PV NOT setting up after a big storm like what is depicted. If this happens to be the ground truth in the long haul we can forget it with a winter storm.

Oh wow, the storm is showing up during that time period. I'm not looking at temps at this point. Just looking for that storm signal and the 18z GFS has it. Looking at temp maps in the long range isn't a good idea. It's not accurate from the GFS.

lol looking at storms post day 5 on the gfs is a horrible idea. talk about not accurate

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lol 18Z with stronger highs coming down from Canada than 12Z yet it is much warmer. It just rams the storm into all that confluence. Another good example of not paying a lot of attention to surface features at this lead.

lol looking at storms post day 5 on the gfs is a horrible idea. talk about not accurate

The weeklies showed this storm during this period that I'm watching. The best thing to look for in the long range on the GFS is heights and storm signals. The GFS is accurate with storm signals in the mid to long range. Once it has consistency of that storm signal, then there will most likely be that storm. Not looking for the specifics with the storm itself at this point.

If anything this winter has been busy in the severe department, I feel as maybe the upper south/MA would see a chance at a winter storm then the deep south at this point.

As much as I dislike the GFS, it did a decent job of predicting the early January system beyond 5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weeklies showed this storm during this period that I'm watching. The best thing to look for in the long range on the GFS is heights and storm signals. The GFS is accurate with storm signals in the mid to long range. Once it has consistency of that storm signal, then there will most likely be that storm. Not looking for the specifics with the storm itself at this point.

accurate in the LR with storm signals???? Have you seen its verification scores in the LR. The gfs is never accurate with anything in the LR much less storm signals. That's why we see such MASSIVE changes at 500mb every 6 hours

accurate in the LR with storm signals???? Have you seen its verification scores in the LR. The gfs is never accurate with anything in the LR much less storm signals. That's why we see such MASSIVE changes at 500mb every 6 hours

I totally agree

I was stating that in general the best thing to look for in the long range on the GFS is storm signals and heights. I wasn't looking at heights in the time period I'm keeping an eye on just yet (not in depth any way). Just that storm signal alone. The weeklies are more accurate than the GFS. On the 18z GFS run the storm signal is there, supporting what the weekly showed.

I'm not sure what Weather Bell shows as the weeklies cause I don't use Weather Bell. Accu pro actually shows the 1000-500 maps on the weeklies. Does any here use Accu Pro as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back