• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care what anyone says. Sun angle is a big factor. Yes it can be overcome by heavy rates and/or super cold temps. But if it's snowing light to moderately during the daytime with temps hovering around 32 you can forget about much accumulation past Feb 15 or so. I literally have not seen any decent accumulation IMBY after Feb 15 in over 20 years. The latest I've seen decent accumulation in that time period was the Feb 2010 snow. So unless you live in TN, NC, or North of ATL, it's going to take a freak event like March 09 or March to see snow past mid feb.
Disagree. It's more of a factor on roads, yes, but accumulation can still pile up on grass and other surfaces, if the sun angle is all the problem is(cold ground in place)

Disagree. It's more of a factor on roads, yes, but accumulation can still pile up on grass and other surfaces, if the sun angle is all the problem is(cold ground in place)
Also, the later in winter it snows the harder it is to stay on the ground for a significant period of time.

I don't care what anyone says. Sun angle is a big factor. Yes it can be overcome by heavy rates and/or super cold temps. But if it's snowing light to moderately during the daytime with temps hovering around 32 you can forget about much accumulation past Feb 15 or so. I literally have not seen any decent accumulation IMBY after Feb 15 in over 20 years. The latest I've seen decent accumulation in that time period was the Feb 2010 snow. So unless you live in TN, NC, or North of ATL, it's going to take a freak event like March 09 or March 93 to see snow past mid feb.

While the sun angle is an issue, the fact of the matter is that winter wx climatology is actually better in March than December across a majority of the Carolinas, and a larger proportion of the storms late in the season are big dogs...

While the sun angle is an issue, the fact of the matter is that winter wx climatology is actually better in March than December across a majority of the Carolinas, and a larger proportion of the storms late in the season are big dogs...
It's mainly better climatologically because of that rare big storm that dumps 1-2 feet of snow. I'm sure Dec has had more individual events (mainly small events ).

lol why can't you say anything about the weeklies .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Because I use Accu pro and they have an agreement saying that I can't share any images from the weeklies. It doesn't say anything talking about them but if I can't share images that
tells me I can't talk about them too much either. Even meteorologist are not even supposed to redistribute images from the weeklies.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Because I use Accu pro and they have an agreement saying that I can't share any images from the weeklies. It doesn't say anything talking about them but if I can't share images that
tells me I can't talk about them too much either. Even meteorologist are not even supposed to redistribute images from the weeklies.

sharing images and interpretations are two different things. there is nothing that's says people can't talk about the weeklies . I have multiple paid accounts and all three have the weeklies not one says don't talk about them . They are not secretive in the weather community

Sun angle isn't a biggest issue. We can still get snow accumulation with a higher sun angle. The sun angle can cause faster melting after a snow storm. The ground temps are more of an issue at first. But if the snow is coming down at a decent rate the snow will overcome the ground temps. The ground temps are always an issue at first here in the south.

Sun angle isn't a biggest issue. We can still get snow accumulation with a higher sun angle. The sun angle can cause faster melting after a snow storm. The ground temps are more of an issue at first. But if the snow is coming down at a decent rate the snow will overcome the ground temps. The ground temps are always an issue at first here in the south.

We seem to have this discussion every year! Rates overcome all! Many a good snowstorm , has came a day or two after highs in the 60s and 70s

It's mainly better climatologically because of that rare big storm that dumps 1-2 feet of snow. I'm sure Dec has had more individual events (mainly small events ).

While this is true (to an extent), December is no stranger to massive winter storms in the Carolinas.

accum.20101226.gif

accum.19891224.gif

December-3-4-1971-NC-Snowmap.png

December-11-12-1958-NC-Snowmap.png

December-28-29-1935-NC-Snowmap.png

December-15-18-1930-NC-Snowmap.png

December-2-3-1896-NC-Snowmap.png

sharing images and interpretations are two different things. there is nothing that's says people can't talk about the weeklies . I have multiple paid accounts and all three have the weeklies not one says don't talk about them . They are not secretive in the weather community

exactly, no one can tell you that you can't talk about something you've legally seen(weather info anyway, it isn't some top secret government thing). Let's not get all lawyered up;)

We seem to have this discussion every year! Rates overcome all! Many a good snowstorm , has came a day or two after highs in the 60s and 70s
It does seem like we have this discussion every season. I have no idea why people think sun angle is a big concern during a winter event.

It does seem like we have this discussion every season. I have no idea why people think sun angle is a big concern during a winter event.

Probably because the Sun angle makes it more difficult to get daytime snow accumulation. It has to snow harder to overcome the Sun angle with marginal temps

Probably because the Sun angle makes it more difficult to get daytime snow accumulation. It has to snow harder to overcome the Sun angle with marginal temps
It's not the huge deal you are making it out to be. We'll worry about that when we have daytime snow in late Feb or early march..until then...stop worrying about it

Yes, that makes since, I just never hear meteorologist talking much about the weeklies. It's just the weekly data is hard to come by with freebie sites.

Just saw last night's Euro run. Very interesting. It was about this far out with the last storm that the models started showing the threat. Can't wait to see what it shows coming up today.

Low cuts inland. Even leaves TN out of anything major. :(

Tracks across Central Bama, to GA, into Upstate SC into NC. Then ends up off the coast of NC/VA

I have a feeling that the 12z GFS will have my storm between the 10th-13th and maybe into the 14th-15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back