• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess everyone gave up and no one saw day 10 on the Euro. So sad
I'm going to take a look at it soon. The data takes a little bit longer on Accu pro.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Just looked at Euro with the bad maps, still looks too warm verbatim but if we get a stronger high in New England looks like CAD areas could score.
Yep...its 34-36 across Wake County during the event. Wouldn't take much. I think we might actually score with this one...no scientific reason this time just a guess

Yep...its 34-36 across Wake County during the event. Wouldn't take much. I think we might actually score with this one...no scientific reason this time just a guess

Yep NC might do well if that look is right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratching my head a bit on this one

GZ_PN_240_0000.gif

GZ_PN_240_0000.gif
it's not a horrible look ,verbatim it's too warm. NW sections could make that work and cad areas could as well . that track sucks for gerogia and SC

too bad it's day ten and will be gone the next run

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

it's not a horrible look ,verbatim it's too warm. NW sections could make that work and cad areas could as well . that track sucks for gerogia and SC

Don't bring that bad juju in here playa.... ;)

It'll find a way to cut...

Yeah - that's what's got me head scratching - the placement of that low - a day before it looks to be on the Rio Grande

#Facts

GZ_PN_240_0000.gif
The 0z Euro EPS has that low too, but it has it way further north. I was thinking that low will cut based off of 500mb heights from what I looked at last. I'll have to look at the updated heights.

System's after this one is the one we'll have to watch. I'm not expecting a lot with this system because it will be warm during this period.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

I guess everyone gave up and no one saw day 10 on the Euro. So sad
Yay! A NC special, that will trend to a Roxboro special soon! :)

Is there another model that handles it better in your opinion?

Virtually ever other model, especially the EPS is better than the GFS at nearly all leads and initial locations because the GFS suite almost always insists an MJO pulse will emerge into the Western Hemisphere in the medium-long range (& it's wrong 99% of the time and too fast 99.99999% of the time). However, if the MJO has amplitude in the Pacific, the GFS tends to perform okay since a) simple extrapolation of an ongoing pulse there puts it in the Western hemisphere anyway and b) the western hemisphere is generally less convectively active than the Indian Ocean and Western Hemisphere (due to south America/Africa landmasses and adjacent cooler water) (OLR tracers of the MJO often break down in the central Pacific), hence b-1) it's convective schemes are of relatively less importance here and b-2) the MJO moves much faster in the western hemisphere (as most global models erroneously depict to begin w/) because there's less convection. Convection is typically juxtaposed within and in the wake of an equatorial wave axis, and hence distorts the wave structures of the myriad convectively-coupled equatorial waves (CCEWs) that comprise the MJO, causing it to slow down, therefore more convection = slower CCEW speeds & vis versa... Nearly all models oth tend to have a dampening bias w/ the MJO, treat it as a moist-CCKW (thus are almost always too fast, possibly due to their handling of stratiform precipitation & poor representation of its top-heavy warm core structure) and the EPS tends to have issues in the vicinity of the Maritime Continent, the so-called "Barrier Effect" still seems to enforce a probable bias in the model to lose the MJO over this area of the globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back