• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me on top of 15 FEET of snow at Lake Tahoe ....ah how sweet it was
12745942_1238032019557787_7528464518877651504_n.jpg

Next winter should at least be colder. A summer with highs in mid 80's would be nice too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can site some weak El Nino years (and I don't rely on any before 1950 with much certainty so I won't list any here) with horrible SE results too. 52-53, 53-54 94-95, 04-05, 06-07, moderate 63-64, 91-92. All those winters pretty much sucked and I would actually feel better with a strong Nino than a weak or moderate one. With the Atlantic in the warm phase (unlike some of the better snow years

I've often said that a lot of the snow average in some southeastern states comes from big events that don't happen yearly. Sometimes there's a nickel and dime event of 1-2 inches of snow in a winter but more often than not, if it snows at all in the southeast it's fairly big.

I can site some weak El Nino years (and I don't rely on any before 1950 with much certainty so I won't list any here) with horrible SE results too. 52-53, 53-54 94-95, 04-05, 06-07, moderate 63-64, 91-92. All those winters pretty much sucked and I would actually feel better with a strong Nino than a weak or moderate one. With the Atlantic in the warm phase (unlike some of the better snow years

1. 1963-4 was a very cold winter in the SE and there was a big 12/31 winter storm for many.

2.1991-2 gave ATL a 5" SN though it was a mild winter.

3. 2004-5 gave ATL and others a major ZR though it as a mild winter.

4. There are many exceptions to what is favored. But weak to mod Nino winters have averaged coldest of any ENSO.

Next winter should at least be colder. A summer with highs in mid 80's would be nice too

I don't mind those temps, as long the dew point readings aren't in the 70s. Lol.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Due to 2015-6 ending up mild overall, that's what many including myself thought for 2016-7. But yes, I agree 2017-8 should be colder than 2016-7, one of the warmest ever.

you missed the point . just cause a storm puts down 2 inches does not mean it's light snow. it could be a quick burst giving 2 inches in a very short time .

4-6 inches a year? 4-6 inches a year of that's what your saying is very unrealistic for the southeast . sure it can happen . it's happened plenty of times. but most of the time in the SE we are lucky to hit the seasonal average

no attitude here. I'm in a great mood this morning
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Lol

Well, that's something new that the CMC has. It has a low coming up from the Gulf at hr 168. I'm not sure about that, the other models don't have that feature.

This isn't a new feature, the CMC had the same solution on the 0z run... This low pressure area originates out of the Bay of Campeche and shoots north thru the Gulf of Mexico and intensifies as it nears the Gulf coast, it's not fully tropical, but definitely looks like a shallow warm core, subtropical cyclone. It's exceptionally unlikely to occur, but certainly not zero w/ a favorable MJO, concurrent ULL over Mexico allowing for large-scale diffluence over the GOM, and above-well above average SSTs.
gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

This isn't a new feature, the CMC had the same solution on the 0z run... This low pressure area originates out of the Bay of Campeche and shoots north thru the Gulf of Mexico and intensifies as it nears the Gulf coast, it's not fully tropical, but definitely looks like a shallow warm core, subtropical cyclone. It's exceptionally unlikely to occur, but certainly not zero w/ a favorable MJO, concurrent ULL over Mexico allowing for large-scale diffluence over the GOM, and above-well above average SSTs.
View attachment 106
and look at where that 540 line is .... :eek:

View attachment 106
Oh okay, I didn't look at the 0z CMC last night that's why I thought it was a new feature. The GFS kinda has the feature in extreme south TX, but it's not a confined LP area.

View attachment 106
Cool, I could use some tropical moisture, we are still very dry in the areas of worst drought from last summer! Bring on a February tropical storm! The new norm as opposed to winter storms ! :(

After looking over the GFS and CMC, I just though of something. That feature that the CMC has, GFS kinda has the feature, so it could possibly really be something.

Anyway, I wonder if there would be a phase with the storm system that the GFS has been hinting at around the 22nd-24th or so, and that feature coming up from the Gulf (if that feature is really something) will phase. Maybe that's why the GFS was showing a major EC storm on its past runs starting at NC and on northward. The GFS still has the storm on it's 12z run but it's not starting from NC and on northward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back