• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Pretty significant movement on the midterm storm on the GEFS with now 6/30 members showing snow. At 0z, I believe it was one.
Several members showing mixed precipitation on top of that as well, pretty active 06z run, in that timeframe of interest

I'm a little surprised about the 13-14th system coming back south. I don't think it will get to my backyard, but the mountains and Virginia could score. At least we will be in a pattern with the potential to produce.
1707372000-gByMRcvNVfw.png

Good news is that we have ensemble agreement at the moment on a surface low in the NE Gulf via a southern stream wave that is tracking from S Baja to S TX (that's a money track that could yield copious moisture during a strong El Nino) / high pressure across C Canada into the Great Lakes / solid 5050 low in & off the Canadian Maritimes that is holding high pressure to the west. It's a solid setup.

Question is - can we get more cold air for more folks on the board? The "more cold air" equation would likely come in the form of a stronger Greenland Block / 5050 low couplet and/or anticyclonic wave breaking in NW Canada within the western ridge there.

On to the 12Z's. This is 11 days away at this point :cool:

The main lobe of SSWE headed to Asia so there won’t be much cold on this side of the hemisphere unfortunately.
It's a fair point in the sense that it doesn't look like we are going to have a big Arctic outbreak (Alaskan Ridge pattern regime). Those can work out for snow as seen in the Mid South last month, but what we are shooting for this time around is this Arctic High pattern regime (-AO/-NAO) in conjuction with El Nino. This Arctic High regime is much more likely to occur when the SPV is in a weakened state...the stratosphere evolution is a key player here, and it continues to trend favorably. The big Alaskan Ridge regime with big Arctic outbreak would deliver cold air, but it would wreck our -NAO as Fro has mentioned before because it leads to strong high pressure dropping down east of the Rockies, then +N American Mtn Torq > N Atlantic jet speeds up and breaks down the blocking on the Atlantic side.

So we're in good position where we are....we just need to hit a little better on the details to drive a little more cold air south and time it with our southern stream waves

Feb 8 SLee 2.png

Feb 8 SLee 1.png

Is the midterm event the ~VD storm or the ~PD storm?
It’s the Valentines Day system. In fairness, I’m not certain that we want it to trend south much. One of the keys for the 17th-20th time period is getting a good 50/50 low established underneath that -NAO block. The EPS, CMCE, EURO, CMC, and ICON are all showing the Valentines Day system doing that.

Back