• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Can't complain about how the Brad P. storm is looking this morning. All 3 major ensemble groups are over a 1 inch mean for CAD areas(even columbia has a 1 inch mean on all three!) from snow falling in the 270-360hr timeframe. That's about as solid of a signal as you can hope for that far out. In fact, I'm not sure how far back you'd have to go to find a run cycle where all 3 major ensembles featured over an inch snow mean for the same time period. I think several years.

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 8.04.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-02-07 at 8.03.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-02-07 at 8.03.26 AM.png

Last edited:
Looking at the operational CMC/EURO at 240hr it looks like suppression with the first wave will be our biggest enemy with plenty of cold air around. So I wouldn't worry too much about the GFS showing back to back runs with the less cold/amped up solution.

Some of the Carolina Piedmont and SC upstate best snowstorms have come from CAD
No doubt some of the best in regards to amounts....but CAD alone doesn't normally result in snow....you need another cold source, especially at the 850mb level. Not saying it can't work, its just not ideal for the Southeast....a lot better for those in the MA.

No doubt some of the best in regards to amounts....but CAD alone doesn't normally result in snow....you need another cold source, especially at the 850mb level. Not saying it can't work, its just not ideal for the Southeast....a lot better for those in the MA.
Maybe for northern GA, but here in the Carolina Piedmont and I’m sure the SC upstate crowd would agree, I always prefer CAD above anything else to get a good push. The reason being is that we don’t have to worry about the cold air getting delayed coming over the mountains. Keep in mind and Webb has pointed this out a number of times, for the western half of the NC Piedmont, the Foothills, and the SC upstate miller B storms on average produce the most snowfall. The reason being is that they are set up by strong CAD.

NC has gotten its biggest snows from cold air damming setups, it’s often the way to score east of the apps

NC has gotten its biggest snows from cold air damming setups, it’s often the way to score east of the apps
Again, im not saying that it wont work....when it does, its often big events, but 99% of the time, there is a cold air source outside of CAD that aids in the upper levels. Its often hard to score east of the Apps without CAD due to the cold air pooling that happens to the NW.

Hard to score without it, hard to score with it alone.....that's all I'm saying.

Can't complain about how the Brad P. storm is looking this morning. All 3 major ensemble groups are over a 1 inch mean for CAD areas(even columbia has a 1 inch mean on all three!) from snow falling in the 270-360hr timeframe. That's about as solid of a signal as you can hope for that far out. In fact, I'm not sure how far back you'd have to go to find a run cycle where all 3 major ensembles featured over an inch snow mean for the same time period. I think several years.

View attachment 145523View attachment 145524View attachment 145525
it's tough man

in 2020 that's a honking signal, but it's tough to wash out the last couple of years. i distinctly still remember the 6+ ensemble means in feb 2021 (i think those existed) and i feel like i've had a few building signals wash out over the last few years. so it's tough to give a signal like this the typical respect it deserves.

there's probably some fallacy embedded here. this doesn't speak to the accuracy of the models, moreso that i think we've just gotten really unlucky. the people that at ncep/ec that work on these things are beyond brilliant mets and mathematicians and i generally don't tolerate "the models aren't what they used to be" type rhetoric.

if monday's storm is an interior NE bomb then that will help grease the skids. snow cover isn't everything but it helps

edit- anything on the 12-13 at least has good mojo. i did not wax poetic in that reminiscing thread but but my favorite event of all time is feb 12-13 2010. core memory is getting home from violin lessons (lol) and opening a taco bell chalupa and turning on weather channel to see wilmington was under a winter storm watch... my first *ever*. big fan of anything that can get going

Back