• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

A couple weeks ago when we were all tracking on ensembles a 'hit' and what is now suppressed and ots--Huffman posted to not discount the ops runs. He was correct in that scenario
I’ll discount any Op model that has wild swings in a time period run to run and the GFS past 5-7 days does that all the time and yes a I feel the same about the op EURO.

Idk what you're talking about. There's been multiple storms on the long range GFS runs for the deep south
Super isolated Deep South storms snowing in the 38-40 degree range. It can certainly happen but I think we’d all be more comfortable if the setups being shown were anchored in place with a true arctic high

That’s a stout -epo, I think cold could really dump hard into conus week 2.

View attachment 145473
You know, this kind of hit me earlier today as I was watching a model run.

One of the key rules with wave breaking within jet streams is that if the jet is running more poleward (farther north), it's more likely that the waves are going to break anticyclonically (rollover to the right at the top of the ridge)...while when the jet is running more equatorward (farther south), it's more likely that the waves are going to break cyclonically.

Feb 6 Wave Breaks.png

La Nina is associated with more poleward jets / more anticyclonic wave breaking (on average) / El Nino is associated with more equatorward jets / more cyclonic wave breaking (on avg, especially later in winter). So, we can see a good example of that now in the North Pacific. What this means is, as that ridge climbs up into AK, it's less likely to break anticyclonically, which is what you would want to see to get more cold air sent south. Now, I'm not saying that we can't get cold air sent south, but those are some ideas associated with the setup here. Some of the model runs do have some level of anticyclonic wave breaking atop that ridge, but not in a bold way. Also, you could have a ridge-bridge type deal where the AK ridge runs head on into the Greenland Blocking ridge and that could dislodge some cold as well. So, we'll probably need to rely more on the setup of the Greenland Block / 50/50 low / Surface High Pressure over the Great Lakes to deliver the cold south.

Feb 6 N Pac.png

This concept of anticyclonic and cyclonic wave breaking makes me think of some other related things:

1. On that first image I posted, you can see how La Nina-like anticyclonic wave breaking over Alaska could easily lead to a -PNA pattern. In contrast, you can see how the El Nino-like cyclonic wave breaking in the Pacific leads to waves breaking off the Aleutian Low and them tracking east into California and Baja, while also leading to western ridges that rise up the U.S. and Canada coastline (negative tilt)

2. On the Atlantic side, you can see how cyclonic wave breaking is preferred for the development of -NAO because after the ridges climb north, they will then move west, feeding into the development of the Greenland block

Id definitely be getting fired up for Monday if I lived in the mtns of NC and Shenandoah valley. And paying close attn hwy 64 north from Hendersonville to Triangle to tidewater. Backside has a shot. We need gfs track another 100 miles futher south and someone might get their car top whitened.
Honestly, it's got to be inside day 4 before I am even thinking there is a chance. Given euro is south, there is a chance, but I really don't trust any models at this point much beyond day 3 and even then, you have to be on the right side of the drift.

Especially with ridging over Alaska. The GFS operational runs are determined to break it down.
You would think that the EPO going negative and the MJO moving into phase 8 that the ridging would have a tendency to hold on like the ensembles are showing. I seem to remember that in January 2022, the GFS was being much too quick to break that ridging down but it held on through the first part of February.

From the NWS here

Uncertainty continues for the weekend forecast and the eventual
passage of upper level system. There remains some guidance that
would suggests a possible transition to winter weather as the
system departs Sunday night or early Monday morning
, however given
the lack of antecedent cold air and the lingering inconsistencies
in model solutions and large ensemble spread, will keep any
mention of snow out of the forecast at this time.

Back