• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern February 2024

Just to add some graphs to @griteaters post, not only is the NAO and AO forecast to go negative on the weeklies, its forecast to go strongly negative. It may be more strongly negative than January.

If you’re not sure how to read that, it’s showing you the maximum and minimum of each forecast of the members of that suite. If you look on and around the 15th-20th, it’s showing that most of its members forecast at least a moderately strong negative NAO with some obviously going into severely negative territory. The thing that is most impressive, in my opinion on the AO, is that the strongest positive it’s showing roughly in that time frame is a +2 but with most of the time just around +1. That’s absolutely incredible.

You will get no argument from me that it’s been a long two years but if this is right, it’s not only a home run pattern. This is the Shohei Ohtani of patterns, IMO. You don’t see it come around much. Can it fall apart? Nothing is a given but me personally, and my limited knowledge of this stuff, I feel relatively confident that the streaks will end in many places.

IMG_1080.png

IMG_1081.png

IMG_1082.png

Last edited:
I’m ready to throw all my chips in on this pattern ahead yet there are skeptics. Let’s see what today’s data provides
^ By the way, I didn't mean for this to come across like "I think the pattern ahead looks really good, and because of that, you should too".....it was more like "I think the pattern looks really good, but I do see other viewpoints and skepticism here and elsewhere, so let's see what the data shows today and assess from there." Which, by the way, nothing has changed. Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. Boom

Just to add some graphs to @griteaters post, not only is the NAO and AO forecast to go negative on the weeklies, its forecast to go strongly negative. It may be more strongly negative than January.

If you’re not sure how to read that, it’s showing you the maximum and minimum of each forecast of the members of that suite. If you look on and around the 15th-20th, it’s showing that most of its members forecast at least a moderately strong negative NAO with some obviously going into severely negative territory. The thing that is most impressive, in my opinion on the AO, is that the strongest positive it’s showing roughly in that time frame is a +2 but with most of the time just around +1. That’s absolutely incredible.

You will get no argument from me that it’s been a long two years but if this is right, it’s not only a home run pattern. This is the Shohei Ohtani of patterns, IMO. You don’t see it come around much.

View attachment 144630

View attachment 144631

View attachment 144634
There really seems to be a consensus across the ensembles now of a -AO/-NAO/+PNA combo to go along with a favorable MJO. We’ve talked a lot about February 2015 when looking at this pattern potential. Remember the -NAO was the one ingredient that was missing that month

We enjoy it because it’s one of the most beautiful things that nature produces. It doesn’t happen often in the south, hence the reason so many people obsess and hope for it during the short few months we have to actually score a decent snow. The fact that we don’t get much is what makes it so much more enjoyable than if we got it all the time like they do up north. It usually melts within 3 days so it’s hardly a nuisance compared to say flooding or tornadoes and hurricanes.
This is spot on and very well said. I also like the Thomas Wolfe quote that @Stormlover has as his profile signature.

It's funny this guy is hanging out on the forum, during winter and on a winter weather thread to boot, so take his objections for what they are worth. (Not too much....LOL)

This pattern is fun to watch unfold. A large amount of posters here, maybe short of the guy down in Key Biscayne, may have something to track over the next several weeks or so. Good luck to everyone. It never hurts!!! :)

This is spot on and very well said. I also like the Thomas Wolfe quote that @Stormlover has as his profile signature.

It's funny this guy is hanging out on the forum, during winter and on a winter weather thread to boot, so take his objections for what they are worth. (Not too much....LOL)

This pattern is fun to watch unfold. A large amount of posters here, maybe short of the guy down in Key Biscayne, may have something to track over the next several weeks or so. Good luck to everyone. It never hurts!!! :)

Hey the 1977 snow down here did happen ya know. More seriously though living where I do I just don’t want it to be hot, when you guys win I (usually) also win. Last freeze here was in 1989, Coldest this century is 33F in Jan 2010, so for you all up north (but still in the south) just know it can always be worse!

That reminds me. Down here we have a saying, “drive north to go south”. Miami is the capital of latin america, zero southern culture, have to drive north a few hours to feel like you’re in the south lol.

Last edited:
GEFS Extended with classic February split flow El Niño with retrograding block, wow. This is where I think the SPV weakening is key for maximizing the high latitude blocking potential

View attachment 144644
I know it’s been depressing so far for many this winter. It’s frustrating especially coming out of a snowless winter.

But … this pattern coming up for the second half of February and even into March looks legit. Will have many forgetting why they ever were so upset about this winter to start.

Winter looking to roar back in style.

I know it’s been depressing so far for many this winter. It’s frustrating especially coming out of a snowless winter.

But … this pattern coming up for the second half of February and even into March looks legit. Will have many forgetting why they ever were so upset about this winter to start.

Winter looking to roar back in style.
Yeah if you live up in Boone or Beech Mnt I can see them eeking out a few flakes before Spring

I’ll preface this statement with the fact that I really don’t pay attention to the ensembles except in the winter and it is when they are posted here or on the other board. But, once again the operational outperformed the ensembles. The GFS went south quite a while ago as so many folks pulled out the “disregard the operational at this range and use the ensembles” argument/strategy. Just saying that more often than not when I hear this statement, the operational(s) ends up being more accurate. Has anyone else seen to have experienced the same?

TW

I’ll preface this statement with the fact that I really don’t pay attention to the ensembles except in the winter and it is when they are posted here or on the other board. But, once again the operational outperformed the ensembles. The GFS went south quite a while ago as so many folks pulled out the “disregard the operational at this range and use the ensembles” argument/strategy. Just saying that more often than not when I hear this statement, the operational(s) ends up being more accurate. Has anyone else seen to have experienced the same?

TW
I think you gotta take it in context. First of all, I give no credence whatsoever to the GFS beyond day 7 as ever being a viable solution and that honestly is pushing it…I never really pay much attention to the EURO after 7 days either. Sure we look at at them and think what might be possible during that time frame, but if an operational shows a solution that it’s ensembles don’t support in anyway, you can pretty much write it off. Here though there was a storm signal in the ensembles, there absolutely was a signal for suppression as well and that will end up being which way it breaks. I think the mistake that a lot of people make when looking at ensembles is focusing on the mean number of something rather than the total members showing something… for example if the GEFS gives me a snowfall mean of 2” when it’s 7-8 days out it’s sounds really good. However if there’s only one or two members showing a huge 12”+ total and the rest showing nothing, then that’s really not a good storm signal at all.

TW
I’d agree because usually on the ensembles you get a lot of snow hits scattered around and we all know it doesn’t snow around here. The operational runs rarely show snow which is why they are closer the the real outcome more times than not

Last edited:
Quick warmup is coming. Let’s just hope and pray we can get from this:View attachment 144700
To this:View attachment 144699
as quickly as possible. We’re running out of time fast.
If you look at how that progressed though over that week, you can see how the beginning of that with the brief warm up is how the -NAO gets established. The SER briefly flexes before it gets muted by the strong STJ, and the taller heights get forced up to Greenland establish the blocking. I’ve said it several times. The SER might flex a little at times but with this strong El Niño STJ, it gets pushed down rather quickly.

Back