• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

So, what was the reason for the bust on Temps for this storm? I know i'm usually a sarcastic commentor, but i'm legitimately curious on the Post-Mortem.

Was the High weaker or in a less favorable position --> thus leading to less low level CAA, or was the rain rates higher --> thus leading to more latent heat release into the Cad? Or was it something else?

So, what was the reason for the bust on Temps for this storm? I know i'm usually a sarcastic commentor, but i'm legitimately curious on the Post-Mortem.

Was the High weaker or in a less favorable position --> thus leading to less low level CAA, or was the rain rates higher --> thus leading to more latent heat release into the Cad? Or was it something else?

Seems like the CAD just wasn’t as strong as everyone thought? The winds that were forecast never came close to materializing.

Southside Electric Cooperative Virginia still has over 50% of customers out. Looks to be about another week

Customers have been down since last weekend. Beautiful rural area but heavy tree laden and many muddy areas to traverse

Linemen are super heroes

Something you will never see in the city but always see in the country.

City: It has been 2 hours, when is MY power coming back on. Then gets on Facebook booker and trashes the linemen.

Country: Power been out 6 days for 50% Southside Virginia Electric Cooperative: Farmers working hand in hand with utility lineman to pull their bucket trucks through fields and backlands to help the linemen get power back up.

Hard working farmers and country folk appreciate and understand hard working lineman.

The grit and backbone of America.

Prayers for the safety and protection of all during this challenging task.

2CC55B74-65CD-410A-881E-910457EA5622.jpeg61837AD2-31A9-4BB4-947C-625060F2F676.jpeg01FD2D45-C44E-43DE-BEAE-A72400200C16.jpeg505AB71A-75FA-4111-8DC8-C92C11979061.jpegAE4A3B75-74A6-401C-A693-A65221AF36B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Something you will never see in the city but always see in the country.

City: It has been 2 hours, when is MY power coming back on. Then gets on Facebook booker and trashes the linemen.

Country: Power been out 6 days for 50% Southside Virginia Electric Cooperative: Farmers working hand in hand with utility lineman to pull their bucket trucks through fields and backlands to help the linemen get power back up.

Hard working farmers and country folk appreciate and understand hard working lineman.

The grit and backbone of America.

Prayers for the safety and protection of all during this challenging task.

View attachment 76376View attachment 76377View attachment 76378View attachment 76380View attachment 76381

Those city folk are subsidizing the sticks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently at 29F in Franklin county AL. It started with light flurries at around 5pm, it later turned to sleet/freezing drizzle, back to all moderate granular wet snow between about 6:30 and 8:00pm, back to sleet, back to granular wet snow at 8:30 ( 2" of snow/sleet fell today so far), and now back to sleet and freezing drizzle 8:50pm. We still have 0.4" of ice accretion on top of all branches from Monday and some of the the wet slushy snow and freezing rain is starting to stick on top of the ice covered branches. I went out side for about 10 min and could hear a few large branches break and crash in the area. So some more tree damage is starting back up.

We ended up with 3/8" of freezing rain accretion on Monday the 15th which knocked the power out for over 7 hours, on top of that 1/2" of flurries thru the day. The 3/8" ice accretion we got on Monday never melted so on Wednesday the 17th we got 2" of snow and sleet then it changed to freezing rain again on the back side during the night and we ended up with 1/8" of extra freezing rain accretion, so the accretion totaled 1/2" on top of all branches. Our power went out again on Wednesday night at 11pm and came back on 25 hours later.

Tree branch pops and crashes could be heard some on Monday and Tuesday, but it really got bad Wednesday night thru this morning the 19th (it sounded like the 4th of July). Even while I was typing this post up the power blinked off for a second, so some branches are still breaking even though probably a quarter to half the ice has melted today when the sun came out.

Here are some pics:
ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice3.jpg

A rare early blooming Red maple really suffered from damage since the bloom structures (red color) collected higher amounts of ice:

ice4.jpg

Early Blooming Red maple:

ice5.jpg

ice6.jpg

ice7.jpg

ice8.jpg

ice7b.jpg

ice9.jpg

Last edited:
We ended up with 3/8" of freezing rain accretion on Monday the 15th which knocked the power out for over 7 hours, on top of that 1/2" of flurries thru the day. The 3/8" ice accretion we got on Monday never melted so on Wednesday the 17th we got 2" of snow and sleet then it changed to freezing rain again on the back side during the night and we ended up with 1/8" of extra freezing rain accretion, so the accretion totaled 1/2" on top of all branches. Our power went out again on Wednesday night at 11pm and came back on 25 hours later.

Tree branch pops and crashes could be heard some on Monday and Tuesday, but it really got bad Wednesday night thru this morning the 19th (it sounded like the 4th of July). Even while I was typing this post up the power blinked off for a second, so some branches are still breaking even though probably a quarter to half the ice has melted today when the sun came out.

Here are some pics:
View attachment 76396

View attachment 76397

View attachment 76399

A rare early blooming Red maple really suffered from damage since the bloom structures (red color) collected higher amounts of ice:

View attachment 76401

Early Blooming Red maple:

View attachment 76402

View attachment 76403

View attachment 76404

View attachment 76405

View attachment 76408

View attachment 76406
I didn't realize Franklin Co had so much freezing rain. I thought you guys had about the same that we did up in Florence... a little bit of freezing rain on Monday followed by about 0.75" of sleet and 4-6 inches of snow on Wednesday. What part of Franklin do you live in?

I didn't realize Franklin Co had so much freezing rain. I thought you guys had about the same that we did up in Florence... a little bit of freezing rain on Monday followed by about 0.75" of sleet and 4-6 inches of snow on Wednesday. What part of Franklin do you live in?
This is the southern part, it was more on the snow side in the northern areas as you got up toward Colbert and Lauderdale county, the southern extent of the ice really ended around south Marion county.

Update from Southside Virginia Electric Cooperative

Southside Cooperative: Nearly 80% of our electric infrastructure, which we have built and maintained over the last 80 years, has been destroyed all at once. This is the worst storm I have seen in my 14 years at Southside and 36 years in the industry,”

A395FCAF-F9C2-4887-9137-E63CEBB3C51A.jpeg

We got up to 45 degrees today and still have solid snow cover. I can’t recall ever the temp going up that high and not melting everything away. Even some of the roads have ice on them.

It took getting to 56 today to finally clear most of it here. There's still somehow a couple spots in the shade. I even hit a spot in the alleyway coming home my car didn't like for a second. I never thought it would take this long considering we only had about 4 inches lol also most of it fell last Sunday! Only another half inch or maybe an inch occurred on Wednesday so it had days of sun even though it was below freezing til yesterday

Oh yeah and considering it's basically late February ?

Last edited:
Back