• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

we've seen this happen several times this season and I should have known better. The models ramp up ice/snow totals 24-48 hours before the storm, only to reduce totals from 24 hours in. Yesterday morning we were forecast to get .50" of ice. By the 0Z suite last night it was down to .25." I'm sitting at .18 and 32.2 degrees.

I certainly think it has a good bit to do with the limitations the models have with ZR. GSO has already had .75” of precip all of which fell with temps below freezing and a nice breeze to help with accumulation and still we had 25% accrual at most. Wind was due east as of 11am which is quickly gonna put an end to anything wintry.

32.4/31 no precip for the last couple hours. Decent accrual on trees.
f0727e63ce959cc3076cb60d09715602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! How much accrual did you see or measure up your way? I see lots of 0.25" reports around you and wanna make sure I get it right for my map before I put you in the 0.25"+ totals...

My station is reading 33 degrees, I know it rounds up, but that puts me over freezing. Trees and vehicles are starting to drip (no precip). My walkway pavers were iced over and are no longer iced over.

I think lack of wind is where this forecast busted. Its very calm outside.

My station is reading 33 degrees, I know it rounds up, but that puts me over freezing. Trees and vehicles are starting to drip (no precip). My walkway pavers were iced over and are no longer iced over.

I think lack of wind is where this forecast busted. Its very calm outside.
yeah kept hearing how much the winds were going to be up today, and that is not the case

Nice! How much accrual did you see or measure up your way? I see lots of 0.25" reports around you and wanna make sure I get it right for my map before I put you in the 0.25"+ totals...

I’m not sure how to get a very accurate measurement but I would think .15 to .20 It’s hanging tough not melting very fast 32.4° here’s a pic of my glass tree LOL.

By the way I appreciate all your analysis and maps and thoughts. Appreciate the time/work you put into it and sharing with us!
5017e49b51ba078c4ae86c7086fec206.jpg

I honestly went back and forth w/ my original 0.2-0.33" glazing forecast for the piedmont or upping the totals a little to 0.25-0.4". In hindsight, really should have just stuck with the numbers in the first forecast because the adjusted FRAM totals after accounting for converting from a flat horizontal surface to curved (slash by ~60%) plus marginal sfc temps on top of the ridiculous warm nose made me hesitant to go w/ anything more than just a mention of isolated higher amounts above 0.33", but at least I didn't go full boar w/ widespread 0.5"+...

I’m not sure how to get a very accurate measurement but I would think .15 to .20 It’s hanging tough not melting very fast 32.4° here’s a pic of my glass tree LOL.

By the way I appreciate all your analysis and maps and thoughts. Appreciate the time/work you put into it and sharing with us!
5017e49b51ba078c4ae86c7086fec206.jpg

Wow the trees look beautiful! Thank you for that. I think 0.2" ish is probably not unreasonable based on these pics and what I'm seeing around you.

Back