• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

Temp rising here. Made it down to 32.4F but now up to 32.7F. Storm cancel.

The Weatherflow stations around my house show 33.5 (but ice is on surfaces) - apparently there is no way to calibrate those stations (side note, the haptic precip measurement system is awful on those things). My station (WS2902) has been at 32.2 with a 32.0 dewey all morning with decent icing. I might need to calibrate it down .2-.4

I guess the near surface cold layer is deep and cool enough to allow sleet to crank up in spurts at least. It also could be that the types of cloud condensation nuclei in this case, which we literally have no idea about and can’t observe, are more favorable for faster refreezing of precip.

031240ce80de8adba9bddab48408363f.jpg

Still sleet/freezing rain here in Roanoke. Never seen so much sleet on the roads before. At least an inch of sleet in the grass. Crazy. 30 degrees right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radar has some light snow moving in here again. HRRR shows this as well. I don’t know what this is associated with

Attachments

• 5A268482-F302-4E32-808B-BAEFB9F0EE22.png
    5A268482-F302-4E32-808B-BAEFB9F0EE22.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: SD
The Weatherflow stations around my house show 33.5 (but ice is on surfaces) - apparently there is no way to calibrate those stations (side note, the haptic precip measurement system is awful on those things). My station (WS2902) has been at 32.2 with a 32.0 dewey all morning with decent icing. I might need to calibrate it down .2-.4

Definitely a glaze/sheen on the trees here (oaks and pines) starting about 30-50ft up.

According to weather station back home temp up to 32.2 and saw some lightning strikes on Radarscope close to home, wife sent a message and said sounded like they struck close to the house, some real window rattlers. What a dynamic system

13miles south of Downtown Raleigh and a decent icing on all surfaces.
13miles south of Downtown Raleigh and a decent icing on all surfaces. The evergreens are noticeably drooping and branches are hanging low.

I saw a few reports to the WNW (Chapel Hill, RDU, Durham) there wasnt icing. Family in Durham county near I40/hwy55 confirms no ice accrual on any surface. Odd. Perhaps it had to do with heavier rain returns?

I saw little to no ice even on the taller pines once I got to I-40 travelling down 147 and eventally into SE Chatham. Durham Co between RDU and DT Durham, especially closer to DT, had accrual down to within a few feet of ground level by 0800.

12z NAM continues to show the secondary hit of freezing rain tonight. For the Triangle, it looks like the same areas getting it this morning.
View attachment 76117

There's a very weak frontal wave that comes up from the SW later this evening. Have to look all the way down at 700mb to really see it. Definitely can notice the surge of warm advection that comes with it.

namconus_z700_vort_seus_fh18-28.gif

namconus_temp_adv_fgen_700_seus_fh18-28.gif

Back