• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

Dropped to 34/32 here in Fayetteville, definitely verifying on the lower side of guidance temperature-wise atm
All 3 events I have gotten colder than the guidance showed but it was basically the difference between 35 degree rain and 32 degree rain. So they didn’t really do “well” they just got lucky there wasn’t just a bit more cold push down on the southern end of the CAD.

Cold rain as expected for upstate sc miserable with water all over the rds almost hydroplaned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's the NE winds that was supposed to be gusting 20-25 mph? Winds are calm to at times light here and still ENE instead of a NNE That makes a difference right there not going to hold freezing or below with a east wind. I suspect I'll go above freezing pretty soon, temp has been slowly rising this morning.
e928c1804f50e21887638248e083d97d.jpg

Doubt these images are going to help much. Did get the wife to take the one of a small maple in our backyard, you can kinda make out the ice but she wouldn't venture outside for the pic ??

IMG_2653_20210218_072952.jpg

edit: deleted 2nd pic, it was from inside a moving vehicle and was much more blurrier than I thought lol

Here's this morning's 12z sounding out of Greensboro. Classic freezing rain sounding here with near-surface cold layer that's about 2,800 feet thick, peaking ~-4°C and a very strong and deep warm nose aloft that's nearly 9,000 feet deep! The peak intensity of the warm nose was +9.4°C measured around 840mb, basically right in line w/ the 3km NAM forecast. It's not the strongest warm nose we've seen at GSO in a freezing rain event but it's darn close, tied for 3rd strongest in terms of peak intensity, and this warm nose was the 2nd deepest of the now 66 KGSO ZR soundings I've analyzed since 1976. Oth, this warm nose did extend above 650mb, that would make it the tallest one.

GSO Sounding 12z Feb 18 2021 edited.jpeg

Back