• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

Clouds thickened up quick and temps actually jumped back up a couple degrees. 48 here currently. I remain skeptical

Literally all sleet here and don’t think that was forecasted. I know sleet was forecasted to mix here and there but not like this. 30 minutes of straight sleet after 45 minutes of heavy snow. Radar is showing heavy returns so don’t know what’s going to happen weather snow or sleet. Weather is always interesting out this way thats for sure.

The strongest warm nose at KGSO during a ZR event (non-freezing drizzle) I found was +11.4°C at 868mb (18z Feb 11 1994) followed closely by +11.2°C at 850mb (12z Feb 11 1994)

Fwiw, GSO ended up getting ~0.33" of ice in that storm, sounds about right here...
Think that was a sleetfeast for us. But we had major ZR that year too, just cant remember if it was the same storm.

Literally all sleet here and don’t think that was forecasted. I know sleet was forecasted to mix here and there but not like this. 30 minutes of straight sleet after 45 minutes of heavy snow. Radar is showing heavy returns so don’t know what’s going to happen weather snow or sleet. Weather is always interesting out this way thats for sure.
I think it amazing that way down in Southern Arkansas it's been all snow and then much further north where you are it's sleeting.

I have no idea how it looks from Chattanooga to Nashville but once 30 minutes past north of Nashville the backroads are horrible. Everything has been shut down here. No trash no mail no work or dr appointments. With this current storm now I even decided to take the night off and I’m a very good winter weather driver. I’d flat out tell her it’s really dangerous trying to get here especially back roads because it’s been so cold the salt hasn’t worked as good. We are now forecasted for 2-5 inches of snow on top of the 4-5 that has already fallen. If not 4 wheel drive or front wheel definitely don’t try it.

Thanks to you and all for replies! After all of this, she just called to tell me her trip was just cancelled for reasons unrelated to bad wx and out of her control lol. I considered that good news because I was worried about her. She'll likely go in March or April. Watch there be a blizzard then lol!

Wet bulb of around 34-35 here with what appears likely to be a solid several hours of RC should be enough to get us in the danger zone pretty well. Checking the visible satellite before sundown showed a batch of clouds moving across the eastern Piedmont, but missing the CAD areas of the Carolinas. The real deal clouds are still streaming up from Georgia at this point, so I think a lot of places through Charlotte and even further downstream will have an opportunity for decent RC. Up here, already-lower temperatures and perhaps longer RC, should solidly set the stage for sub-freezing conditions by game time. I’m watching for a wet bulb around 30 by midnight as a benchmark.

Back