• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

I think one sorta slept on place that could get some serious ice is here, wonder if some areas in that circle push 0.5 + View attachment 75970

Yeah...heading to Tryon,NC to coach some athletes of mine for 3 days starting tomorrow afternoon. Gonna be hard to ride a bicycle in that.

I don't understand how the HRRR keeps warming when it's obvious we're going to have a couple of hours of RC. Not saying it's wrong, but it doesn't really add up.

While I do not see a single cloud, not even in the distance to south or west, I do wonder if any previously unexpected cooling could be offset by the 4-5F higher we went today than previously forecast. Do y'all think there would be enough cooling to make a real difference?

Thanks for the replies. I just called Nashville NWS. They said there's a winter storm warning til 6 PM tomorrow and they highly discouraged travel tomorrow, including because of the mountain ridge (Monteagle?) that would have to be crossed.

They told me to monitor roads on tdotsmartway.com to see about Friday.

LOL, accu-weather has gone loco. Here is the forecast for Winston tomorrow
22.svg

2 - 4 in

Snow

24.svg

0.15 - 0.25 in

To mid TN folks like @olhausen :

My niece wants to drive from Atlanta to Nashville tomorrow morning. I told her I thought that could be dangerous due to slippery roads and to instead go Fri, which she can do. But she'd rather not shorten the time there. I told her that I wasn't just worried about roads in Nash,. but maybe moreso the roads between Chat. and Nash. I recall a mountain ridge you have to go across.

Please give me opinions about whether or not I should tell her to wait til Fri. Also, will the drive be much better Fri morning? TIA!
I have no idea how it looks from Chattanooga to Nashville but once 30 minutes past north of Nashville the backroads are horrible. Everything has been shut down here. No trash no mail no work or dr appointments. With this current storm now I even decided to take the night off and I’m a very good winter weather driver. I’d flat out tell her it’s really dangerous trying to get here especially back roads because it’s been so cold the salt hasn’t worked as good. We are now forecasted for 2-5 inches of snow on top of the 4-5 that has already fallen. If not 4 wheel drive or front wheel definitely don’t try it.

Fwiw, the 18z 3km NAM is showing a warm nose of ~12°C at KGSO tomorrow morning (max T is 54°F). If it verifies, that would be a record strong warm nose for all 65 KGSO freezing rain soundings I've looked at since 1976. Normally, the warm nose for ZR at KGSO peaks ~+4-6°C, even anything above +8°C is somewhat unusual in its own right, much less 10C lol.

1613602153131.png

Back