• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

LOL - this NWS forecast near Decatur, AL shows they really don't know what to expect. 3-5 inches possible but rain showers and snow showers. The wording in these forecasts is just crazy at times. All snow after 5PM this afternoon, but then rain and snow with colder temperatures tonight...then changing to rain and then back to snow flurries all within the span of a couple of hours.
Decatur.png

To mid TN folks like @olhausen :

My niece wants to drive from Atlanta to Nashville tomorrow morning. I told her I thought that could be dangerous due to slippery roads and to instead go Fri, which she can do. But she'd rather not shorten the time there. I told her that I wasn't just worried about roads in Nash,. but maybe moreso the roads between Chat. and Nash. I recall a mountain ridge you have to go across.

Please give me opinions about whether or not I should tell her to wait til Fri. Also, will the drive be much better Fri morning? TIA!
Hey, I'll pick her up. Where she live?

I'm confident that we'll achieve warning criteria here, but we started the day looking at .50", we're down to .40 on the official forecast and down to .30 on the NWS Blend.
That could actually be worse, it means the moisture will not be as heavy when falling and will stick to everything with temps around 30. The 1"-1.25 was never going to verify but from an accrual standpoint it would mean heavier rates and less accrual as it would wash away most of the ice

Back