• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

NWS Raleigh trimmed back their ice accumulation forecast. Maybe I won't lose power???
StormTotalIce.png
Roxboro jackpot makes sense.

They really need those weenie 10% “upper end” maps for ice like they have with snow.

15 DP in Winston at 3:00 tomorrow, yeah, no that is not happening
actually, it can happen, these are not surface based thunderstorms. There on top of the inversion/warm nose feeding off the WAA aloft, that’s how elevated thunderstorms work. So yes, it is possible.
For example a few nights ago, lol

I saw that but those are observed temps so once they get some precip falling they should drop. Unfortunately I don't have atmospheric wetbulb or dew points in that program
Thats the key....how much moisture will it take before the column is saturated. This could severely cut back on accumulations if it takes very long. I still think Florence may be the only “major” impacted city in AL....time will tell.

Reactions: SD
Thats the key....how much moisture will it take before the column is saturated. This could severely cut back on accumulations if it takes very long. I still think Florence may be the only “major” impacted city in AL....time will tell.
Yeah light precip and strong waa can easily crap out a sounding that needs wetbulbing to be snow. Most of the soundings I've seen from Al are razor thin, would be sweating bullets if I lived there. I think you are right about Florence being the best area, I still think a good amount of mainly sleet could fall over toward HSV

Interesting that they added the panhandle of Lancaster County to the WWA as well as York but not Union County. I don’t think I’ve ever seen only a small portion of a county added to any sort of advisory...

Back