• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

Wow; opened the thread this am and thought I must be in with the North Dakota crowd. All this hoping for the punishing, relentless, doozy of a winter to finally end. I guess all the record cold and snow will push people into wanting record heat in the middle of Feb? I've never seen such a weenie page on here before. I guess there are only about 5 or 6 of us that actually like seasonal weather in Feb now? :rolleyes:

Yep. If there are no prospects for anything wintery, even a fantasy storm, I’m firmly in the warm and dry bandwagon. Much better for tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting your faith in the GFS is the first issue. Using it or it's Ensembles is useless now. Any -NAO you get will damper the SER, it's just a matter of how much. The SSWE also supports some form of high latitude blocking as well so this is very likely to be realized. The only reason we are warm is because we are in February during a 3 year La Nina with an unfavorable MJO for the icing on the cake. But we are moving away from that. Still doubt we get any winter weather, but expect to go into a cooler March at least right now.

Aren’t the Euro and ensembles supporting foreseeable ridge dominance. The NAO and AO scatter plots are all over the place. I’d favor persistence in that scenario.

Aren’t the Euro and ensembles supporting foreseeable ridge dominance. The NAO and AO scatter plots are all over the place. I’d favor persistence in that scenario.

The Euro ensembles are actually giving a strong CAD signal after the middle of next week. Also on the updated teleconnections this morning there is now fairly noticeable trend that the NAO is going to be going negative.. this really been starting to lean that way the last several days… shouldn’t be a surprise… -NAOs have been pretty regular once we head towards March for a number of years.

Yep. If there are no prospects for anything wintery, even a fantasy storm, I’m firmly in the warm and dry bandwagon. Much better for tennis.

Well I am happy to disappoint you; we might get this record warmth next week but that is not seasonable until like May, so there's still some cool weather ahead and I am thankful for that. And actually for tennis, you need dry and cool; I'll play tennis in the 50s and 60s with sun over the 80s and 90s with humidity every time!

This GFS run is insanely warm, after a period (d8-10) the southeast ridge builds back quickly thanks to the western dump, and crazy warmth returns, pretty crazy GFS run honestly

Well I am happy to disappoint you; we might get this record warmth next week but that is not seasonable until like May, so there's still some cool weather ahead and I am thankful for that. And actually for tennis, you need dry and cool; I'll play tennis in the 50s and 60s with sun over the 80s and 90s with humidity every time!

I hear you. You can take the boy out of Florida but you can’t take Florida out of the boy I guess. I’m good with 60’s and 70’s, ideal outdoor activity temps.

This GFS run is insanely warm, after a period (d8-10) the southeast ridge builds back quickly thanks to the western dump, and crazy warmth returns, pretty crazy GFS run honestly
Awfully dry to for many of us. I'm afraid we may have just about entered into a very dry 3-4 month period. It's possible the rest of winter and into spring will be like 1986. Hopefully summer is not a repeat of that year though, although much of the board would love a repeat of the 1986-87 winter.

It’s totally crazy. Would have expected a bit more CAD influence. Also very little snow cover around.

1677369600-ZVDwERqozzU.png

1677412800-UsCw3vZ8Vd0.png

Just a slight change.

Back