• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fail or Fab February 2023 Pattern Thread

There's honestly no good ENSO. It seems every winter is worse than the last.
Until we find a way to keep the mjo out of the warm phases or only have brief glancing passes not much will change. The only real hope I can find for next year is maybe a WEN trying to get us there but I worry we just compound our issues and enhance the STJ with no blocking and constant WC troughing and we just end up with a lot of days with highs in the 40s/50s/60s and lows in the 30s/40s and no arctic air to be found

Until we find a way to keep the mjo out of the warm phases or only have brief glancing passes not much will change. The only real hope I can find for next year is maybe a WEN trying to get us there but I worry we just compound our issues and enhance the STJ with no blocking and constant WC troughing and we just end up with a lot of days with highs in the 40s/50s/60s and lows in the 30s/40s and no arctic air to be found
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the MJO have less of an effect during El Niño… I’m still trying to learn more about its effects

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the MJO have less of an effect during El Niño… I’m still trying to learn more about its effects
I haven't seen that much evidence in recent history to really say that enso state can trump the mjo. That said the active stj during a nino can be enough so that you can find the cold windows easier than nina in the less supportive mjo states

I haven't seen that much evidence in recent history to really say that enso state can trump the mjo. That said the active stj during a nino can be enough so that you can find the cold windows easier than nina in the less supportive mjo states

What's keeping it in the warm phase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the composite for winters (+ENSO) that followed atleast 3 -ENSO winters. No clue if we flip to a nino next year.

Why does it seem whenever we look at composites from years past they never ever pan out...unless they are warm composites.

JoaD6_CVW9.png

I think that's the million dollar question. Forcing in the pacific never seems to favor us anymore. Background state is always a westen trough.
We’ve certainly had bouts with cold phases… January 2022 was a prime example of that… the problem is that we seem to see the path through warmer phases take much longer. Heck even for most of last month it was low amp on the cold side of the circle, but our overall pattern was more in line with a canonical strong Niño… which is part of why I’m wondering how much impact the MJO has in an El Niño

Well, like it or not, every single ensemble member on today’s Euro Weeklies has an official SSWE (Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event) in the Feb 14-15 timeframe.

Also, the Weeklies show favorable tropical forcing / MJO from mid-Feb thru late March per VP Anomalies

And the pattern response is shown as well. Chilly March or March 1960 incoming

1675980684967.png
1675980954912.png
1675980775453.png

Last edited:
Well, like it or not, every single ensemble member on today’s Euro Weeklies has an official SSWE (Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event) in the Feb 16-17 timeframe.

Also, the Weeklies show favorable tropical forcing / MJO from mid-Feb thru late March per VP Anomalies

View attachment 132803
View attachment 132805
View attachment 132804

If it really turns out to look that good, maybe we'd have a chance.

Or, maybe 3 more of this weekends, lol.

View attachment 132785
Looks like things could get interesting late next week from a severe setup.
Markers are there for a “big one” for the Deep South . One-two punch with the first system being the primer, deep ridging surface to 850mb with Caribbean feed and a strong broad trough with 500mb vectors out of the WSW, strengthening surface low centered in MO. Definitely one to watch, classic look.

Well, like it or not, every single ensemble member on today’s Euro Weeklies has an official SSWE (Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event) in the Feb 14-15 timeframe.

View attachment 132803
View attachment 132805
View attachment 132804
That blue stuff is too far north. Chilly rains for the SE unless we can get the blue stuff 300 miles farther south.

Thought I was told earlier the SSWE will have no effect on AO or downstream for better winterwx opportunities in SE

Back