• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fab-February 2020 The dark age

Keep thinking the pattern can't get worse...but the EPS is trying. -EPO is toast after a few days negative. Just how warm can we get.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-2156800.png

oof

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_dprog-1724800.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_dprog-1940800.png

Last edited:
Keep thinking the pattern can't get worse...but the EPS is trying. -EPO is toast after a few days negative. Just how warm can we get.

View attachment 33059

Oh well, it does nothing for the pattern...a gulf ridge spiking the EPO negative was never a true -EPO. It’s actually hurting us here by digging the trough west. If actually prefer a gulf low at this point.

It’s actually worse than the above image^ lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh well, it does nothing for the pattern...a gulf ridge spiking the EPO negative was never a true -EPO. It’s actually hurting us here by digging the trough west. If actually prefer a gulf low at this point.

It’s actually worse than the above image^ lol.

I thought I had accepted that winter was over but when you see a trough build back over AK for the umpteenth time it's sobering. I just wanted some cool nights, but with pattern setting up it's going to be wet with warm nights. Day time highs might be muted, but I think we see a couple of 80F's end of Feb.

Reactions: Jon
Not that it really matters (lol) but I’m waiving the ? on this so called winter. Hell we got a real shot at some nasty storms tomorrow. One day we will be able to have a nice winter again.

Way too early, Chris, imo. No offense, but I sincerely hope you’re wrong! The bugs are having way too much of a party.

Edit: If the AAM is really going to go back positive after midmonth, game back on imo. Look what this very last +AAM was associated with, true winter.

Last edited:
A bit worried about soil temps for this weekend's system considering it's been summer this week, so we better get some good rates if it does indeed snow. It would be advantageous if it hits at night. I'll be in Greensboro, so I may indeed have a shot at something.

Way too early, Chris, imo. No offense, but I sincerely hope you’re wrong! The bugs are having way too much of a party.

Edit: If the AAM is really going to go back positiveafyer midmonth, game back on imo. Look what this very last +AAM was associated with, true winter.
I so hope I’m wrong too. I also noticed that the bugs are starting to come back too. Ugh.

Edit: If the AAM is really going to go back positive after midmonth, game back on imo. Look what this very last +AAM was associated with, true winter.
Do you have AAM forecast charts?

Not that it really matters (lol) but I’m waiving the ? on this so called winter. Hell we got a real shot at some nasty storms tomorrow. One day we will be able to have a nice winter again.

Leaf-out as much as 3 weeks early across parts of NC! Two ways this can go....six-leaf-index-anomaly.png

if this sticks it could be the earliest spring arrival on record for many.

LeafRI.png

I thought -AAM leads to more amplified troughs and ridges in the northern hemisphere. Why would you be rooting for a +AAM? Just got change of pace? Or do I have it backwards, +AAM leads to more amplification?

Last edited:
I thought -AAM leads to more amplified troughs and ridges in the northern hemisphere. Why would you be rooting for a +AAM? Just got change of pace?

Jon, the +AAM tends to correlate to El Ninolike/+PNAish. -AAM tends to correlate with La Ninaish/-PNAish/SER. When the AAM finally turned to a solid and pretty longlasting positive just after mid Jan, that’s exactly when the SE finally had some semblance of winter (see image below). Also, more amplified troughs and ridges hurts rather than helps when you have a strong NE Pacific high, western or central trough, and strong SER. I learned all of this from Maxar only very recently.

5806320B-E03F-4DFA-A096-09AF4A44D047.png

Jon, the +AAM tends to correlate to El Ninolike/+PNAish. -AAM tends to correlate with La Ninaish/-PNAish/SER. When the AAM finally turned to a solid and pretty longlasting positive just after mid Jan, that’s exactly when the SE finally had some semblance of winter (see image below). Also, more amplified troughs and ridges hurts rather than helps when you have a strong NE Pacific high, western or central trough, and strong SER. I learned all of this from Maxar only very recently.

View attachment 33078
Interesting. Everything I'm finding is contradicting which state is better. I see a majority of evidence supporting -AAM during the winter for cold. Do you have the research that shows -AAM leads to a strong SER? I'm seeing that a +AAM is bad because storms can't slow down and amplify, as in, the CONUS pattern is too progressive to lead to digging to put it in our terms. I'd be interested to learn the other side, as I just thought I was figuring it out until I saw your post. lol. I also saw that a -AAM could vary over the CONUS (Warm/cold over the SE) based on the IO state. Yet another 3 letter word that could mean different things at different times.

Back