• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Early 2019 S/E Heatwave Duration Record

Marietta is reporting 91F. I’m not sure their highest temp this week, 93 or 94.

Gainesville, FL, is already up to 99 at 2 PM vs 98 24 hours ago when they ended up with their hottest on record in May and only 2 from their hottest on record for any month. What's making this much worse than yesterday is that the dewpoint now is 72 vs 66 yesterday and the resultant heat index is an astounding (especially for May) 108 vs 101 yesterday at this time. Hang on to your hats, folks, this is liable to be rough. Hope @pcbjr is inside with AC.

90 at the house now. Yesterday topped out at 94 before the high clouds came in and it dropped to the mid 80s just in time for the cookout.

Gainesville, FL, is already up to 99 at 2 PM vs 98 24 hours ago when they ended up with their hottest on record in May and only 2 from their hottest on record for any month. What's making this much worse than yesterday is that the dewpoint now is 72 vs 66 yesterday and the resultant heat index is an astounding (especially for May) 108 vs 101 yesterday at this time. Hang on to your hats, folks, this is liable to be rough. Hope @pcbjr is inside with AC.
Little surprised there aren't any heat advisories out, not only due to the extreme heat but it's early in the season and duration. I mean a 108 heat index even in Gainesville has to be pretty extreme for any time of the year

My weather station not accurate at all in this weather due to location.... it's hit 101 a couple of times but it's too close to my roof. I've been meaning to extend it out and upward to help with that but it's too dang hot!
Big jump to 97 here, maybe 100 isn't impossible about 2 hours left to hit it. You sure you don't want to get out in these great conditions and do that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Big jump to 97 here, maybe 100 isn't impossible about 2 hours left to hit it. You sure you don't want to get out in these great conditions and do that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure one of two things would happen once I stepped onto the melting shingles, I'd either get stuck or slide right off....neither is a viable option

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

More good news: my temp fell from 100.0 at 1:20 PM to 97.1 at 2 PM, thanks largely to some good cumulus development once the cirrostratus canopy departed. The very important winds are still very light and they're variable.
KSAV is at 98 with a high so far of 99. Will today be the 4th 100+ there in a row?

Great news here. At 3 PM, I'm down to 95 from 97 at 2 PM and 100 at 1:20 PM and vs 100.7 24 hours ago. The decent cumulus field is probably helping, but I think also that the seabreeze may have just got here, which if true is several hours earlier than yesterday. Meanwhile, the more inland KSAV is back up to 99.

Last edited:
well our weather could be worse, 40s and rain in New England

Incredible breeze here today coupled with the heat. Hopefully it sticks around til March 2020 to save everyone a little heartbreak

Only 95 here. Stout breeze. I could work in this all day every day twice on Sunday. This ain’t nothing. Next

And it’s over. NWS Blacksburg says 70s this weekend for western NC and low 80s for the foothills. Lows dipping to 55 or lower with increasing showers likely for the blue ridge mountains.

I couldn't add a syllable or punctuation mark, Larry!

Unless you posted it and I missed it (heat can do that to the brain) ... it ties yet another record; down a degree now but the clouds are moving out and any "breeze" is a slight whisper from the WNW ... we still have a good 90 minutes to climb ...

My weather station not accurate at all in this weather due to location.... it's hit 101 a couple of times but it's too close to my roof. I've been meaning to extend it out and upward to help with that but it's too dang hot!
I had to move mine to the roof, too and now have the same problem. Reading 102 at the moment. Wife got tired of looking at it in the backyard. It's ok until around 2pm through about 5:30 pm.

Charleston officially 100° at 356pm for the 3rd consecutive day in a row with century mark readings, considering no previous 100° may readings occurred on record goes to show the historic markings this heat wave has scorched us with.
Only saving grace is the 24% humidity with the 100° (HX 99°)

Back